Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

The Best Roll-Up Bed Cover...

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  luckydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Which is it? I'm looking at getting one but don't know which one...any input it great. Thanks

Edit: I mean "Retractable" not "Roll-Up"

#3 ·
I have had a truxedo on all my trucks. Best hands down

#4 ·
Roll-N-Lock makes a very good product IMO:thumb:

#6 ·
I'll Vote for Retrax.

I had one when I first got the Truck.

Traded it for the Shell. I'm gonna get another Retrax in the Spring...

#9 ·
I went with a "Roll Bak" retractable cover and love it. You can still utilize the beds stake pockets if needed where most others cover them up. No outside lock to freeze up in the winter either which I like too. Have had it now for 2.5 yrs and have no complaints at all other than just a little water getting in at times. My last truck had a fiberglass tonneau cover which looks good, but a pain in the rear if you ever want to haul anything at all. I'll take this one over the others anytime...

#13 ·
I put a "Roll BAK" cover on my '09, and have regretted it ever since! I had a RollBAK cover on my '02, and was very pleased with it. The newer ones have been changed, both in latching mechanism and latching points. The new latch mechanism consists of plastic plungers (like door latches) that, on mine, have snapped off and had to be replaced. That was done once, under warranty, but I had to make repeated phone calls to finally get someone who understood enough about the cover to send me the correct repair parts. The older covers latched at 12' intervals along the full length of the bed, with a heavy metal spring-loaded bolt. The newer ones come with enough parts to create only three latch points along the length of the bed.
The older cover latch could be released and the cover slid fully open. On the newer ones, you have to pull the release cable at each latching point, which can be a PITA.
As a RollBAK cover owner, I recommend against buying one of them.

#10 ·
I saw an article in the OffRoadAdventures magazine (4WheelParts magazine) showing the install of the Pace Edwards cover. Very nice and simple install.

#11 ·
Pace Edwards goes on easy. I installed (2), one on mine and one on my dads.
Quality sucks. Both fell apart. We had the full metal jacket ones. His is still working alright, mine quit. It would not roll past the 5th wheel hitch without you retracting it and pushing it in 5-6 times.
Both the powder coat on top went to crap and flacked really bad.
Mine might need a spring on the inside, but after only 3 years and the truck only used for towing. I stick with a tool box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.