Towing a Gooseneck trailer with 7" lift ?????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing a Gooseneck trailer with 7" lift ??????

I was wondering if anybody out there is towing a fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer with a lifted 250. I am looking at a 7" icon lift and am probably going to go with some 37's. If any body has this setup can you send some pics or let me know if this will work or not for pulling my goosneck trailer. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 PM

To be honest i took my lift off my 7.3 for the reason of towing a gooseneck. do you already have the trailer or are you having one made or buying a used one? Will you pull this trailer with any other truck?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:55 PM

yup i already have the trailer, no i wont be the only one towing it. one of my employees also pull the trailer with a F350 daully. i had a 2.5" leveling kit and 35's on my other 08 F250 and towed the goosneck ok. what do you think if i do the 7" lift with 37's i will be 6.5 inches taller in the bed of the truck. you think i will be ok with that?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM

I pull a 32 ft. low-pro dovetail trail with a 4 in. To be honest, I couldn't pull it as heavy as I do if I didn't have the lift, cus it gives me extra clearance for the jacks on the trailer. Idk about a 7 inch, how heavy are you pulling?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM

When i had a 6 inch lift and 35s i didnt have my trailer. I bought a new one and they would have made me one with a higher tongue to accomodate but i just took the lift off so i could easily pull it with my dads 6.7. What i was told when looking for a trailer was that you can adjust the tongue some which will help but give less clearance at the tailgate and bed walls. The other option is to not adjust the tongue and this will cause the clearance to be close to the same as without a lift but you will have more pressure on the rear tires. I know people do this all the time. I went over to a friends before i took my lift off and backed into his gooseneck and i had plenty of clearance and the trailer was level for the most part. So this can be done. Right now, is your truck or your employees truck taller?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:06 PM

one of our machines weigh 23k pounds . towed it a bunch of times with my previous 08. but maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks. Im mostly pulling around a bobcat or a lil scissor lift on a flat bed.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I wouldnt tow a gooseneck with that tall of a lift and tire combo. You will be very close to your bed rails with the gooseneck. And the first time you tap your bed rails with the trailer, you will be pissed because the bed will be crushed. In my mind a leveling kit is the only size lift I would tow with. As for towing a trailer heavier with a lift. You can fix that by putting airbags and a leveling kit on your truck, and be able to tow alot more.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud2k View Post
I wouldnt tow a gooseneck with that tall of a lift and tire combo. You will be very close to your bed rails with the gooseneck. And the first time you tap your bed rails with the trailer, you will be pissed because the bed will be crushed. In my mind a leveling kit is the only size lift I would tow with. As for towing a trailer heavier with a lift. You can fix that by putting airbags and a leveling kit on your truck, and be able to tow alot more.
Or you can do both, which is what I'm planning on doing. As for the trailer, if it has an adjustable tongue, then you might be able to get the clearance you need.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucktractorman View Post
Or you can do both, which is what I'm planning on doing. As for the trailer, if it has an adjustable tongue, then you might be able to get the clearance you need.
Correct. My roommate has an OBS that has a 6" lift and 35's and he had his flatbed made specially for lifted trucks. You can still tow it with a normal ride height truck, but yyou have to adjust the tongue on the trailer quite a bit to be able to get the trailer level. I guess Me personally Ive always just done leveling kits on my trucks to allow the most possible room when towing. But many have done it with up to 4" but above that it gets a little close for comfort.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

Goosenecks and fifth wheels don't have tongues to adjust, and that's what the OP is asking about. Goosenecks are adjustable, and you can definitely get it tall enough to work with your truck. As far as fifth wheels go, I wouldn't even attempt it myself. You'd have to flip your axles to the other side of the springs on the trailer but that'd only give you 3 inches. If you raised up the pin box than your trailer would be getting to close to the bed. I've seen guys with big lifts pulling fifth wheels and they are never level and they usually have damage on the bed from the trailer hitting it on the back corner above the tail lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.