Steering wheel vibration with 35" tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering wheel vibration with 35" tires

i just got 20X9 moto metal wheels with pro comp extreme a/t 35X12.50x20 installed on my truck with a 2.5 leveling kit. After the installation i started to feel the steering wheel vibrate. I went back to the guy and he balanced the wheels again but the vibration is still there sometimes I feel it more than other times. I have a dual stabilizer kit up front. I was just wondering if anybody has had these problem before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrkustoms View Post
i just got 20X9 moto metal wheels with pro comp extreme a/t 35X12.50x20 installed on my truck with a 2.5 leveling kit. After the installation i started to feel the steering wheel vibrate. I went back to the guy and he balanced the wheels again but the vibration is still there sometimes I feel it more than other times. I have a dual stabilizer kit up front. I was just wondering if anybody has had these problem before.
This same exact thing happened to me when I put 22s on my old f150. Short story is, something is wacked out with the wheels. I went to I don't know how many placed tryin to get them re balance and front end parts checked and nothing happened to fix it. When I put the stickers back on it was fine. So, something with wheels. Had the round checked and everything. Switched to a nicer brand of wheels with exact same tires balanced at exact same place and no vibes. It's just a risk you run with not getting nicer brand of wheels.
I will say I got them road force balanced and it helped trmendously, but it's hard to find someone that can do that and it cost a lot.
Good luck.... Maybe it's just an out of round tire but I'm just speaking from my experience.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:14 PM

thanks for the info the guy checked the rims and said that they were perfectly fine the second time the guy balanced them the vibration was less than the first time. I just looked into the road force balancing and my local ford dealership does it so im gonna have them balance the wheels and see if that helps. I thought that moto metal made some good quality wheels has anyone had any experience with them. Im hoping its just the balancing cause i just got the wheels 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 AM

just do like i do with any tire bigger than stock put them on the truck and drive around about a week before you balance them then go back and have them balanced it works fer me and all of my buddies
Old 07-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Powerstrokin' For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafarmboy View Post
just do like i do with any tire bigger than stock put them on the truck and drive around about a week before you balance them then go back and have them balanced it works fer me and all of my buddies
You know i've never thought of that, i'm going to do that when I level my truck and throw the 35's on, thanks bud!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedichensley View Post
You know i've never thought of that, i'm going to do that when I level my truck and throw the 35's on, thanks bud!
i cant explain how it works but i know it works though my buddies daddy that owns a tire store is the one that told me when i was having the problem on my 150 and the next set of tire same kind i tried it and it worked and alll of my tires are done like that now and all of my buddies do it also and we never have problems
Old 07-04-2010, 05:08 PM

I doubt TripleE44's different brand replacement rims had anything to do with fixing the problems. Either the first set of aftermarket rims were round or they were not. The rims do not flex enough in use to affect balance. Mount new rims and sometimes the installer lucks out.

Some tires simply have to be road force balanced. I had a 2000 Avalon with OE Michelin tires that cost $180 each and was a bear to balance. Way back 10 years ago when I first heard of a road force balancer, and found one locally, they said 2 of my 4 tires balanced significantly different than they were. Much better.

Before the road force balancer the tech would pop the tire loose from the rim and rotate it 1/3rd then re-inflate. Not that the tire or rim was out of round, but to move the relationship between the heavy points in the tire and the heavy points in the rim so that the spin balancer would give a different answer. This actually helped a bit, but was trial and error.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

the tire might be "out-of-round". One of my old MTZ 35s were like this and they do not balance ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.