Toyo MT's cause spongey steering? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Toyo MT's cause spongey steering?

I just got my brand new Toyo MT's in a 35x12.50x20
Anyway, those got installed yesterday afternoon and all I did was drive it home. Now this morning on my way to work, I'm cruising down the freeway about 65-70 and I had to swerve just a bit and it felt very weird.
It felt as if the steering was loose and lagging and rear end felt like it was kind of fishtailing somewhat. Is that typical of the taller tire, or do I have something going on?

Oh finally - the Les Schwab guy gave me a pointer about tire pressure. He said go ahead and put 65 in the front tires like Ford recommends but he also said that when I'm not hauling my trailer to let some air out of the rear to something like 55 so they don't balloon much and wear out the middle. What do you all think about that? Sorta made sense to me a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
Id try a little less air in them to see how that works.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 AM

Brand new tires have to wear in. It'll do that for about 500 miles. Afterwards you wont get the drifting/pulling that you're experiencing now.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 AM

they may have buggered up the wheel alignment

I am currently running 50psi in my tires. If you have wide enough rims you shouldnt have much balooning but if your on narrow rims you might have issues with the tread wearing uneven.

Also wide tires naturally will wander and with the superduty it seems to be worse because your already wider than the ruts in the highway so wide tires just compaound that and you bounce around in the wheel ruts. at least thats what i find with my superduty.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Mine wander/fishtail a bit if I have to jerk it quickly. Im on stock wheels though so this is expected. It seems to be getting better though. With only 1000k on it I cant tell yet if the tires are wearing weird but they don't seem to be.

This is with my mud grapplers. When I had my BFGs on it the truck didnt wander or have that fishtail feeling at all.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2ShootTheJ View Post
Brand new tires have to wear in. It'll do that for about 500 miles. Afterwards you wont get the drifting/pulling that you're experiencing now.
"02" is right - the night I got my Toyo's put on, (35X12.5R-17's) I was about a half mile from my exit and I stomped on it. I got up to about 85-90 and it got scary-squirrely (if that's a word)! I got out of it mighty quick. I drove it for about a week (just over 400 miles) and got my new SCT tuner. After loading the 485 tune, I took it for a ride and totally forgot about the tires. At one point, I touched 100 MPH and it was fine - problem was gone! Give it a chance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.