Bed covers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Bed covers?

I may ditch my tool box and put a cover on the bed been looking at roll covers and folding covers i want something that is fairly water tight and secure i keep allot of tools in the bed anyone with exp. on fold-a-cover,bak flip,roll lock,pace edwards,ect? i do want some thing that will weather well also kinda like the pace bedlocker.
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 12:15 PM

anybody!!!

Chris
Old 03-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a roll top cover on mine (RollBAK). Don't expect one of these covers to be water tight. I'm not sure about the folding covers, though. I use tool/plastic storage boxes to stow everything in the bed that would be damaged by water.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:47 PM

I was looking at the rollbak as a choice how bad does it leak? i really don't want my tools soaked!
Chris
Old 03-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke4Fun View Post
I was looking at the rollbak as a choice how bad does it leak? i really don't want my tools soaked!
Chris
It leaks along the side rails, not where the roll top is. There just doesn't seem to be any way to seal it up. Parking with the nose either up or down seems to help. If the tools are raised up a little off of the bed floor, they will probably be alright. I installed one of the Undercover SwingCase tool boxes on one side of the bed for things that absolutely can't get wet. I keep most of my tools in my fifth wheel RV that we travel in full time (I'm retired.) The RollBAK canister could stand to be about 1/2" longer (left to right) in order to fit better. I used a c-clamp on my headache rack frame to pull the mounting bracket out far enough to screw down. Then, one of the latch pins at the back end of the roll top broke because it wasn't mounted far enough toward the edge of the cover. After I got the replacement parts, I moved the mount about 1/4" out and it works fine, now. Just make sure that the nylon latch pins mate up fully with the metal latch flanges. They responded well in providing parts under the warranty. I hope I was clear, but I'm not sure what to call some of the parts.?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Not sure what your price range is, but I really like the Diamond Back covers (well I like them except the price): DiamondBack :: Covers as Tough as Your Truck
Old 03-14-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the input i heard about the plastic pins being a weak point on these covers. i am looking at roll a lock and pace edwards i think the pace has the best warranty 3 years going to do some more research on them before i make any choices.
Chris
Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have had Fold a Covers on my last 2 trucks and love them. I have had a Rollbak ( took up too much bed space and leaked along the edges), and an undercover lid ( excellent weather protection but could not load anything tall, PITA to take off). The Fold a Cover is very good at being weather proof as it mounts on top of the rails. I personally would not buy anything that mounts flush inside the bed.

Whatever choice you make, enjoy
Old 03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroke4Fun View Post
Thanks for the input i heard about the plastic pins being a weak point on these covers. i am looking at roll a lock and pace edwards i think the pace has the best warranty 3 years going to do some more research on them before i make any choices.
Chris
The reason I've stayed with the RollBAK cover (I had one on my last truck, too) is that it is the only one that permits access to the stake holes along the top of the bed. With the others, you can't mount anything else, like a headache rack or bed rails, to the truck's bed. I use the cover for security of whatever I've got in the bed more than anything else. My aux fuel tank is 'L' shaped, so it fits up under the canister. If the pins break, again, I think I'll have a machine shop make new ones out of stainless steel.

Last edited by luckydog; 03-14-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Cool

Paid 400 bucks for mine lifetime war. roll up no leaks love it, it's great , I'll have to get back with name can't remember right at the moment.
JER-1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.