Accuride or Alcoa 22.5's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Accuride or Alcoa 22.5's

I spoke with a guy a minute ago about getting some wheels. I am wanting the Alcoa classic 22.5's for my truck. He recommended the Accuride wheels with Goodyear G622 Tires. He says that the Accuride or more true and have a much brighter finish. The price was for $4300. What do you guys think? Is this a good tire? He claims its the best. Would the Accuride wheel for that price be a better deal than going with the Alcoa? He made some good points but I want to make sure I get the right ones considering the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 07:50 AM

I just checked out pics of the Goodyear tire and I'm not sure I like it. I like the Sumitumo ST 727 and the Hankook AH12 tire. Any opinions on these tires as well?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Who did you talk to? I would suggest staying with a Michelin or Bridgstone tire, those are two top of the line tires and they will get your best ride. If you want the best ride, you will have to pay for it.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 AM
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!!!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have worked on Big Rigs most of my life and can tell you Alcoa'a look great. I have a set on my 02 F350 running Kelly tires in the front and Dunlop in the rear. For the price I like the Dunlop. A mistake I made on the first set of tires was I didn't take into consideration that the tires are made for heavy loads that I dont even come close too lol. So my first tires were way to stiff and the truck bonced all over the road. The dunlops I have now are a soft compound and ride great. I pull a 28ft enclosed trailer with my race car no problems. I have seen 22.5 sets with adaters for sell on here and RACINGJUNK.COM for around 2500. So if your not in a hurry I would consider looking around for a used set and save some cash. Just a thought.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:15 AM

I spoke to someone from bigduallywheels.com. I have looked at a few other sites and duallywheels4u.com has the best price I've seen so far. I think I want to stick with the Alcoa Classics even if they're not as bright just because of the simple fact of the name so I know they're great wheels. I have read from the majority that the Michelin are the best tires. I just can't seem to decide. I definately don't want my truck that I drive every single day to ride like crap just because I wanted to save a few bucks on tires. I do want the look of the tires I stated above, not something really aggressive looking just a sleak looking highway tire. Does anyone know who sells the Michelin tires as a package with the Alcoa's?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 AM

If you want the best ride stick with a Michelin, now keep in mind, isn't not going to ride like a caddy. Don' only look for the cheapest price,look for the people who have been doing it the longest. If you go cheap, you will be kicking yourself in the end. I can assure you the Alcoa's will be plenty bright enough for you, they have the blue lable polished, the are shiny, but will require polishing occasionally when needed. Alcoa also offers a Black label, these are polished also, but they are clear coated, therefore never requiring polishing, which is a good thing! These Black labels arent cheap,it all depends on where/when you want to spend your money.

I will suggest that you call Frank (or any of the guys) At Dieselwheels.com Frank is the originator of 10 lug wheels on 8 lug trucks..
Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 AM

I tried to call those guys but it looks like they are closed on Mondays so I will try to call tomorrow. Does anyone have pics of an 08+ with this setup? Please post them if you do.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:55 AM

We went with the Alcoa Classics w/ Sumitomo ST 908 tires Sumitomo Performance Tires: ST 908

The ride is a little rough but even the ride on the stock tires and wheels wasn't like a Caddy. We bought ours local in Pa at Tremellen's Automotive Service, Big Wheel Kits, Lancaster, PA
They reccommended the Alcoas because of the weight rating since we tow with the truck.

The Alcoas do shine nice, but after a couple show seasons and winter driving the are getting fine scratches in them. I plan to have them professionally repolished in the spring.

Hope this helps, whichever ones you get will make your truck look even more sweet!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 AM

my drw is very similar to yours expect it is dark mineral grey with the gold accents. I am looking at 22.5s too, but do not want to deal with 50 of 60 lbs of adapter at each corner, but really like the alcoa hole style. For tires you can always check craigslist, I found the 6 tires I need in the size and compound used for about 300 for all of them with about 70% life left ( should last atleast 100k )

let us know the best price you found on the alcoas
Old 11-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0USE View Post
my drw is very similar to yours expect it is dark mineral grey with the gold accents. I am looking at 22.5s too, but do not want to deal with 50 of 60 lbs of adapter at each corner, but really like the alcoa hole style. For tires you can always check craigslist, I found the 6 tires I need in the size and compound used for about 300 for all of them with about 70% life left ( should last atleast 100k )

let us know the best price you found on the alcoas
they have a new thing available....its called DBO (direct bolt on) so there is no adapter required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.