Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Light bar questions

4K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  Aviqq 
#1 ·
Getting ready to get a 22" light bar for the bumper of my 08 super duty. I was planning on getting a straight bar but after looking at it I think a curved might fit better, has anyone tried a 22" curved bar? I plan on making my own brackets

#3 ·
Text Font

Text Font Parallel

Thinking about trying one of these two lights. I know its hard to beat the quality of rigid but where its a single row it's only 93w the auxbeam is 120w. What brand of light bar did you go with Joshua? Good lookin rig btw

#5 ·
View attachment 570314

View attachment 570322

Thinking about trying one of these two lights. I know its hard to beat the quality of rigid but where its a single row it's only 93w the auxbeam is 120w. What brand of light bar did you go with Joshua? Good lookin rig btw
There's a BIG difference in quality from a generic bar to a Rigid, and another from Rigid to other bars. I've had them all now and won't ever buy a generic/Chinese bar again. Check out other aspects more than just the Wattage. Lumens, Lux @ Distance markers, Water resistance (at least an IP68 rating IMO if you want to keep water out in DD usage), and beam pattern are all important in determining how you'll be happy with the bar.

Just looking at the two you linked, there's a huge difference in beam pattern. Looking at the lenses/reflectors, the Rigid is going to give you a Spot/Flood combo, and the Auxbeam is going to be a full Flood/Diffused. Each will throw a lot more light, but the Auxbeam will only throw it about 30-50ft in front of you, the Rigid should double that.

#4 ·
Thanks! I have since installed a black bull bar and about to do an HID retrofit with my stock lights. I eventually want to install an FX4 grill to remove all the chrome. Those lights look nice and different. I wasnt sure if I would like the look on my truck so I purchased a $50 light bar from ebay. I have to admit that I am very impressed with the quality! It has been installed for over a year with no issues. I cannot remember the name brand but it uses Cree bulbs and has great reviews. I cannot see spending $200+ for a light bar that doesnt get used everyday. I have thought about wiring it up to turn on with my bright lights but may not need that once I do the retrofit.

#8 ·
The fx4 grill looks so much better really changes the look. I'm changing the chrome bumpers can't decide between red and black

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
I had a straight in my 08 until it took a rock and cracked the glass. I since put in a curved one and flush mounted it in the bumper. They look almost factory that way. My bars were both amazon specials. I don't use mine that often and didn't know how it would work or how often I would actually use it so I went cheap. This curved one has been on for almost 2yrs now and still going. It is a way better beam pattern from the curved. I also made my own bracket. Super easy on these 08's.

#11 ·
I agree red would look awesome. I've been looking for steel bumpers that I could paint but I can only find them at salvage yards and they want about 300 a piece after I get painting involved it gets kinda pricey. Any recommendations on a cheaper route? Powdercoating is an option but then there is always doubts the color will match. I know the chrome looks completely out of place and I'm about to shoot some Plasti dip on it until I can do something more permanent

#12 ·
Craigs List. Every once in a while there is a guy that wants to trade painted for chrome. The last 2 I saw were trade or 125. I have always liked the "sport" look of painted bumpers and trim with no chrome. The only reason I bought this 6.4.

Edit: well that and horse power

I hate lamp!!

#14 ·
Red would look good but black would match the grill and headlights. Either way will be a winner. I traded a guy with a king Ranch even for my bumpers. My truck is tan on the bottom so that worked perfect for me. I talked myself out of powder coat because it can and will chip over time. Very hard to touch up with paint and look good. I plan to have mine color matched with Linex later on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Until I find some steel bumpers reasonably priced I'll be sporting black plastic dip, kinda curious about the stuff anyway never used it. Did back bumper last night doesn't look half bad. Planning on doing front bumper tonite I'll post pics of that as well.

Attachments

#19 ·
Ok I'll keep that in mind I appreciate it.

#18 ·
Thanks. I tested a can of the red on an old chrome exhaust tip I had laying around it was actually a closer match than I thought it would be but it really bothers me if it doesn't match perfect so I decided to just do black and like you said it shouldn't show stains as bad as bright colors.

#20 ·
Got the Plasti dip on the front. Hopefully before long I can find some reasonably priced steal bumpers cause I really want red. At least I don't have to look at that chrome now. I ordered the auxbeam curved light bar should be in tomorrow when I get it installed I'll post pics how it looks in the bumper.

Attachments

#22 ·
Thanks, it sure beats the chrome

#23 ·
Got it installed. To anyone on the fence between a straight or curved bar go with the curved, it follows the curve of the bumper perfectly. Sorry the pics aren't the best I was in a hurry

Attachments

#25 ·
The black bumpers do look better than I expected. The red light bar really stands out in the black bumper almost too much. Idk, what do u think

#27 ·
Considered doing the rocker panels as well but kinda worried the Plasti dip won't last very long and if i stay black might just have it all bed lined. idk I'm never satisfied no matter what I do lol

Attachments

#29 ·
White is a good color stays looking new a long time. I used to have an 08 white crew cab almost identical to yours I really liked it. Will not have another black truck. Thinking silver next time

#30 ·
any of you guys have a picture of the bracket you made? I can't find any online to buy for 22"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.