New Bumper Color - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Bumper Color

First the bad news........got hit by a Honda Ridgeline this morning at a traffic light. The good news is that it was more of a hard bump than a hit and the only "damage" I took was a couple of scratches to the painted part of my bumper and the trailer wiring bracket under the bumper was folded under.

I have thought about changing my bumper colors ever since I bought the truck new ('08 F350 CC FX4). I have the FX4 painted gray bumpers and have thought about having them redone in Oxford White to match the rest of the truck. Couple of questions for you guys who know a whole lot more about this than I do:

1) Are the original bumpers painted or powder coated?
2) What is the difference between painting and powder coating?
3) Given the location and the rocks (actually sand and small gravel) Colorado likes to put on its roads during the winter would powder coating be a better choice?
4) What do you think about going with the "all white" look (see attached pic below)? I was thinking about still leaving the factory fender flares gray just to have some slight color variation on the truck and to match the standard FX4 grill insert.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
New Bumper Color-white-truck.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I personally like the all white better than the gray bumpers and flares (minus the white mirror covers). I just think it looks clean and works with chrome or black wheels. Powder is baked on so it will be much tougher than paint. I would assume stock bumper is painted. If you can get someone to match the powder that would be a better choice to hold up to rock chips. White is not necessarily easy to match though.

I've actually been thinking about powdercoating my bumpers to change the look of the truck and getting a XL grill to paint to match the truck. I'm not sure on color...thinking maybe black or silver like the truck color. Wish I knew photoshop so I could see what it would look like.

I had painted bumpers on my last truck and they looked like hell after one Utah winter so don't think I will go that route.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 PM

Yea deff. go powdercoat if you're gonna do it. I love the exterior of the KR trucks but don't care for the interior color. I would've still bought one in spite of the interior but have seen a few with the bumpers chipped to hell, so I went with the chrome.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM

yea my gray bumper looks like you shot it with liek 3,000 shots from a bb gun
Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
Could always have it color matched with Line-X. They do an awesome job now days with the color matching.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM

I like the all white look!

Here is my 06

I do, however, have the shotgun patterned front bumper.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@MBRP View Post
Could always have it color matched with Line-X. They do an awesome job now days with the color matching.
I'd be worried about that on a front bumper. Those bugs like to glue themselves bad enough on a smooth, flat surface. You'd have to scrub the hell out of line-x to get them out.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for all the replies. I am going to try to check out prices to have both the front and rear bumpers powder coated white. I want to make the change, but I'll admit I'm nervous about not liking it after I spend the money. I also wonder what the big Job 3 front airdam will look like hanging beneath a white bumper.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That is what my truck looks like. I went from a Lariet to FX4, So my stock bumpers were chrome. Had them blasted, primed, & painted. Looks great but has already started to chip. If you can get powdercoat to match thats what I would do.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM

I will tell you that I had my bumper painted by a so called professional body shop, and it flaked off after 4 months. Needless to say I was not very happy. Make sure the dealer or good local body shop paints it, or powdercoats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.