New truck... looking for truck cap advice/pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 04:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New truck... looking for truck cap advice/pics

Hi all,

Returning to the Ford brand after many years in a GMC... bought a new F-350 CC LB a couple of weeks ago to replace the aging 1/2-ton SUV tow vehicle.

I'm looking to put a truck cap on to provide additional (secure) storage. Been looking at Leer, Snugtop, and A.R.E... anybody have recent experience with any of those brands on late model Super Duty trucks? Right now I'm favoring a Leer 100XL as the local dealer's pricing is reasonable and they are manufactured nearby so lead-times are only 7-10 days.

Thanks!
Jim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've had a Leer cap in the past and I didn't have any complaints about the quality. The paint on other caps i've had oxidized quite a bit but the Leer seemed to hold it's shine pretty good.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 PM

I've had two Leer caps on both my trucks for about 5 years. One red and one black. I have no quality issues except the gas struts that lift the rear window are starting to fail (something to be expected). My friend has another brand but Leer is better in quality IMO. The paint has also held up exceptionally well considering it is parked outside in the hot Texas sun.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the replys... many I have spoken with confirm Leer makes a good cap. Going to order one this weekend...

Jim
Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 PM

I have experience with both Leer ad ARE..... Leer on an '08, and ARE on an '06. My opinion is that your choice should depend on what you're going to use it for.

I have a Leer 100XQ on my '08 super duty.... I chose Leer because I liked the looks better, I also liked the way the bottom edge of the Leer cap hung over the bed rail.

I think quality between the Leer and ARE are comparable. However, I think the ARE has more "substance" in the roof of the cap.

I have used a Yakima Roof Rack system on both trucks to carry canoes, bikes, lumber etc..... The ARE had much less flex than the Leer does.

I'm actually waiting for a call back from my Leer dealer regarding getting a front window replaced..... is spontaneously shattered the other week. Not sure why, there were no nicks or chips and I didn't hit it with anything

So, hands down, I like the looks and fit of the Leer better, but the ARE seemed a little beefier, so if you're going to be rough on it, take a close look at ARE.

Good luck!

Last edited by jbiersba; 09-08-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:15 PM

Thanks jbiersba... I did order the Leer with Thule tracks but the extent of my loads are skis, bikes, kayaks, and sometimes the combi box... nothing really heavy.

To your point, I did read somewhere as well that A.R.E. was bit stouter in the roof. I would think all the cap manufacturers would augment their roof construction when ordered with tracks?

We'll see.... will post pics in a few weeks when it's on the truck.

Jim
Old 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM

You'll be happy with the Leer..... I am. I usually am carrying skis, a box, or a Canoe like you. and aside from the broken window which I can't really attribute to the structural makeup of the shell when I had a moderate load of lumber on the roof, I've never had any problems.

On a side note, the tracks that Leer installs may or may not be manufactured by Thule. Regardless, they are manufacturer independent. Meaning, if you are a Yakima guy, like me, you can mount your Yakima bars to the tracks that Leer will install without issue.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Leer shell installed...

Leer shell came in last week and had it installed on Friday. Fit and finish seem pretty good except there was a paint chip on the roof. Dealer said I could send it back for repair but it would be another 3-4 weeks wait. Decided to hold off until spring as the fall rains and even some snow are coming to the mtns and I need the bed covered and secured. Inside I installed a BedRug carpet kit... matches the interior shell carpet and will make truck camping and short overnights a little more comfortable.

The rail/track system on the shell works great and with a few Thule parts quickly accepted my existing Thule rack. Although I did find the overall height of this set up is quite a bit higher than my prior 1/2-ton and requires a tire step to access the rack and box.

Last edited by Delta Jim; 02-11-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM

Looks Great!

I'm Interested in getting a Leer too.

Everyone's Comments are making the Purchase a little more Confident.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
niceI'm thinking about one myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.