Tune off your TPMS light..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Exterior Discussion Body and Accessories Talk

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tune off your TPMS light.....

For those of you who have their TPMS light constantly on because of aftermarket tires and wish to blow it to smithereens, I have a thought.

We all know installing the sensors in the spare tire or PVC pipe will not work because they need to rotate for activation. What if we made a small PVC pipe, installed the sensor in the pressurized pipe then attached the pipe to the tire band inside the tire? Would balancing the wheel be a problem because of the extra weight? Oh maybe the learning tool/fob would not work because the sensor is obscured? Can radio frequency pass though plastic?

Last edited by Harley350; 08-05-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The easiest solution (what I did for the yellow light) is tear the cluster apart and remove the LED light on the board. As far as the message just hit reset. As far as the PVC can in your Wheel you will never get that thing balanced correctly and you will most likely have a horrible wheel wobble. Yes the sensor can pass through plastic and the rubber it worked for a while in my spare tire.

List of things that I tried before coming to my final solution:
  • Talking to the Dealer about lowering the pressure (Wont do it b/c of Fed Regulations BS)... FAIL
  • Using the sensors from another Ford car/ truck with lower pressure.... FAIL
  • Install the sensors in the spare tire..... FAIL
  • Installing the sensors in a tube pressurized to set PSI.... FAIL
  • Waiting on a Tuner Company to come out with a solution... FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley350 View Post
For those of you who have their TPMS light constantly on because of aftermarket tires and wish to blow it to smithereens, I have a thought.

We all know installing the sensors in the spare tire or PVC pipe will not work because they need to rotate for activation. What if we made a small PVC pipe, installed the sensor in the pressurized pipe then attached the pipe to the tire band inside the tire? Would balancing the wheel be a problem because of the extra weight? Oh maybe the learning tool/fob would not work because the sensor is obscured? Can radio frequency pass though plastic?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINOONE View Post
The easiest solution (what I did for the yellow light) is tear the cluster apart and remove the LED light on the board. As far as the message just hit reset. As far as the PVC can in your Wheel you will never get that thing balanced correctly and you will most likely have a horrible wheel wobble. Yes the sensor can pass through plastic and the rubber it worked for a while in my spare tire.

List of things that I tried before coming to my final solution:
  • Talking to the Dealer about lowering the pressure (Wont do it b/c of Fed Regulations BS)... FAIL
  • Using the sensors from another Ford car/ truck with lower pressure.... FAIL
  • Install the sensors in the spare tire..... FAIL
  • Installing the sensors in a tube pressurized to set PSI.... FAIL
  • Waiting on a Tuner Company to come out with a solution... FAIL
Yep I feel you on all of those fails...I beat my head against the wall on my wifes Ford Edge when I put 22's on it..tried all kinds of stuff that never worked, I bought the factory ford bands and installed the sensors in there the right way..and they have worked great since then, although I would like to lower the tire pressure a bit, but I cant unless I want to look at a low tire light..last I heard Eric @ IDP was working on this..
Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

DINOONE Can you post the specific sensor that you tried. Another member had luck with sensor #6F2Z1A189A. It is used in a fusion, etc. I found a local wholesaler who can get me a whole kit around 200 with new bands etc. I might try this when i put my lift on in a few weeks.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 PM

I tried the Fusion, Edge, and Focus. Neither of them worked for me I have $400 worth of sensors still sitting in my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunya View Post
DINOONE Can you post the specific sensor that you tried. Another member had luck with sensor #6F2Z1A189A. It is used in a fusion, etc. I found a local wholesaler who can get me a whole kit around 200 with new bands etc. I might try this when i put my lift on in a few weeks.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:10 PM

The problem isn't the sensors, it's the computer. The sensors only relay the current pressure, if the computer determines the pressure reported by any of the sensors is out of range, it turns on the TPMS light and message.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:01 AM

Correct and the only people that can lower the computer pressure is the Dealer and thier gonna tell you because of "Fed Regualtions unless the system is damaged they cannot work on it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
The problem isn't the sensors, it's the computer. The sensors only relay the current pressure, if the computer determines the pressure reported by any of the sensors is out of range, it turns on the TPMS light and message.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:07 AM

I had this problem back in January...I work in a tire shop tho so I had some resources. I got 20 inch bands and reused my sensors (marking the position of the sensor from where I got it, like left rear and inside and outside) in my new tires. Haven't had a problem since then. That's the most logical way to go I think. It was like $20 for the bands and it's a really simple install.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINOONE View Post
Correct and the only people that can lower the computer pressure is the Dealer and thier gonna tell you because of "Fed Regualtions unless the system is damaged they cannot work on it!"
Exactly correct.

I still think it would be better for the dealer (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, etc..) to change it and have control over it then to let millions of drivers drive around with larger tires without a clue as to whether they have the right PSI in them or not. Sure, I can get out of the truck, and check the PSI myself to see if the tires are properly inflated. But not everyone does that and as such, they could potentially be an accident waiting to happen because they are driving around on improperly inflated tires.

Wouldn't it be better to make the system at least usable rather then just say, "Sorry, we can't touch it."

Just don't get it.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:55 PM

So your Running 70 psi in your 33" Toyo M/T?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterc View Post
I had this problem back in January...I work in a tire shop tho so I had some resources. I got 20 inch bands and reused my sensors (marking the position of the sensor from where I got it, like left rear and inside and outside) in my new tires. Haven't had a problem since then. That's the most logical way to go I think. It was like $20 for the bands and it's a really simple install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.