Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel gauge problem

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  09powerstrokee 
#1 ·
So my fuel gauge likes to read bone dry empty even tho its completely full of fuel. It will also pick a random fuel level from time to time. Is this an easy fix? Feel level sender unit? Would like to take care of it myself if it's not too hard.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I have noticed the same issues with my fuel gauge as well. I only drive it on the weekends, so that may play into it some. I now always reset my trip mileage when I fill up. Some days the gauge will read 1/4 when its full and sometimes is will read 3/4 full when its almost empty. I dont feel like jacking with the dealership, it isnt hurting me any. I am interested in why this could be happening though.....

#4 ·
Dropping the tank and inspecting the basket assembly isn't that hard a job... Just run the fuel down as low as you can to make managing the tank easier...

I bet you've got a hanger somewhere on your float assembly, not allowing a full and free sweep of the float... The variable resistor usually either soils the sheets altogether, or is fine- it ain't common for it to goof over a long period before flat out stopping...

While you've got the tank on the ground, run a continuity check on all the wiring..it could be chaffed anywhere between the basket and the pcm, or between the pcm and the dash, for that matter, causing grief as y'all mention... One of the best trouble shooting tips I ever got was to have a helper in the truck observing the cluster, while you gently squeeze and slightly bend harnesses at various places (especially hard bends and junctions) to see if your short is somewhere in the vicinity... You may find debris such as dirt ect in the harness that provides abrasive surface for those finely insulated wires... The harness that comes through the firewall under the steering column is a major location for this.

#5 ·
Yes, it got fixed, a while after I posted this. I gave up on it for a while but then came back and took the dash out to check if I even had power to the prong that goes to the fuel gauge. Turns out I didn't. Finally got underneath the truck and opened up the plastic insulation that all the wires run through and ironically there was a splice that had been made on a pair of wires that had been the ones going to the fuel sender. Well that splice had broke apart and so I stuck them back together with a new splice and now I had a fuel Guage. But one thing I learned from this is there is NOT a low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank like my locsl Ford said there was. It's on the frame rail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.