Need a little advice on speakers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need a little advice on speakers

Alright, so I've been reading... And reading... And doin some more reading so please don't tell me to search anymore. I have no clue when it comes to sound systems or anything of the sort. I don't even know what size the front and rear speakers are in this truck(2010 Lariat crew cab). I let my brother borrow the truck last weekend. Before anything else was said, he had a ton of excuses about the truck... Long story short 3 of the speakers are blown out so I can't really even listen to the radio. He had all the settings in the radio turned high as it would go with some rap CD in it. I need to replace them but need pointed in the right direction... I can't afford these big brands I've been reading about right now(focal, jlaudio, etc.) As it's truck payment time of the month. Anyone know of some cheap(not crappy) speakers I could look at installing till later when I can afford to put good stuff in?

Sorry for the long post. And thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 AM

The speakers are 6X8 but i believe 5X7 will fit with adapters. I bought Rockford Fosgates off of Amazon for less than $60 a set.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06psd6.0 View Post
I have no clue when it comes to sound systems or anything of the sort.
Are you capable of installing them yourself?

Quote:
Anyone know of some cheap(not crappy) speakers I could look at installing till later when I can afford to put good stuff in?
Go to the junk yark and score some or go find something in your range at the discount store.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM

I got in touch with a couple shops and an online audio vendor. They were all very helpful and pointed me in the right direction. (Little more detail to the story) my brother is 16 so he still lives with my parents(obviously lol). That being said, they decided they would pay for most of it so my budget got a little bigger and haven't decided on what I want yet.

And yes I can install everything on my own, though, I may have a buddy help. I'm going to do this to save alittle money then have a shop tune everything properly. I have plenty of experience with electric work and I've been studying up quite a bit.

EDIT: Sorry, I reread my first post. To clarify, I have plenty of electrical experience. I simply meant I've never done speakers or subs before. I've only ever replaced head units.

Last edited by 06psd6.0; 04-22-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:42 AM

sounds like you are on your way.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:35 PM

Just to update I got speakers ordered. Here's what I ended up with

JL audio c3-570 component set- front doors
JL audio c2-570x coaxial speakers for the rear
Jensen 760.4 amp

I would like to have gotten a JL amp also to keep everything uniform throughout the system... But I simply couldn't spare the expense for one. I got a great deal on the Jensen locally. I looked up the specs on it and compared to others. As far as power output, it is the same as the JL amp I wanted(yes, I know, all amps sound different but for price it was no contest). I will see how it goes with this one and if I don't like it then I will upgrade when funds allow. It is also CEA-rated so, (from my hours of research) makes it a level playing field for comparison to other CEA-rated amplifiers

Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06psd6.0 View Post
Just to update I got speakers ordered. Here's what I ended up with

JL audio c3-570 component set- front doors
JL audio c2-570x coaxial speakers for the rear
Jensen 760.4 amp

I would like to have gotten a JL amp also to keep everything uniform throughout the system... But I simply couldn't spare the expense for one. I got a great deal on the Jensen locally. I looked up the specs on it and compared to others. As far as power output, it is the same as the JL amp I wanted(yes, I know, all amps sound different but for price it was no contest). I will see how it goes with this one and if I don't like it then I will upgrade when funds allow. It is also CEA-rated so, (from my hours of research) makes it a level playing field for comparison to other CEA-rated amplifiers

Should have saved the $$ on the rear speakers, you can't even really hear them anyways. Take the extra money and invest it into a JL Audio 100wx4 amp and bridge it to two channels for the front two speakers only. That's how mine is setup. You could go as far as buying another factory speakers from a junkyard or eBay so you have two functional rears, but with the c3's up front you won't even hear the rears.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 AM

I have people that ride with me quite a bit or I would have done exactly that. But, yes, even sitting in the back they may mostly only hear the fronts I still feel like (for anyone in the back seat) it would probably sound a bit empty at certain timea

Old 04-24-2014, 06:55 AM

wow, a Jensen amp?
I'm interested in your review on that.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 AM

You make it sound like I made a big mistake with that one? Lol I could have afforded quite a bit more but for $20 brand new never out of the box I figured it was at least worth trying it, right? A buddy of mine bought it a week ago to try but totaled his truck the other day so he had no use for it. If I don't like it I'll sell it and find something else

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.