remote keyless entry - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
remote keyless entry

I am sure that there is a thread about this somewhere, but have not been able to locate. I just bought a 2008 F-250 XLT and there is no key fobs. The dealer attempted to program a key fob but was unsuccessful. I also tried to put the automatic locks into the program mode but was unsuccessful. I have read on other forums that if your vehicle is equipped with power locks then you have the capabilities for RKE. I am just wonder if this is right or an I going to have to have it installed. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same truck. I bought it new after the paper work was all done not thinking about it. They gave me the keys and no remotes? I asked whats up with that and they said this truck does not have them. Small panic attack I told them tear up the deal I'm not spending 50k and have to key open the door. So what they came up was a ford dealer installed system. It's wired in under my dash. It's called FMCo vehicle security system Gen-2. I think the model number is h63dg. They seem like they are only like $200 online. Hope my rant helps. I don't know what RKE stands for but I asked the dealer for the cheapest way to give my remote open locks (even offered my 05 trade in key fob) and they said this system was needed.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

RKE stands for Remote Keyless Entry, and the box added on is basically an addition to the truck's GEM, the General Electronics Module. The GEM on most XLT, all Lariat and higher-end trucks (as far as I know) includes the circuitry to communicate with a remote entry fob. it
Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

...continued, sorry... it is a nice add-on for sure, and I also highly recommend the keyless entry number pad on the outside of the door, or hidden in some other location if you want it out of sight. The newer ones are adhesive-backed, can be placed inside the fuel door, between the edge of the cab and the bed, under a bumper, etc. It is essentially another remote with no drilling or wiring required, and is AWESOME when locking it running with family or dog inside, or just when you need to open the truck and the keys are in the house. The number for the door pad is 7L2-14A626, replacing 3L2-14A626. They are about $100 at most dealers, $70 or so on ebay, unless you find a bargain. I got mine for $35 and it is worth TEN TIMES that. I recommend putting a brand new battery in before mounting it, as it is hard to do once on the truck. The key fobs and door keypad must be programmed at the same time to work together.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was the same way when they handed me the keys with no remote. When I expressed my concern they told me they would check on it. I got a call the next day and they said it would be 199. I was just hoping there was a way that I would not have to add it on. I will probably just spend the extra money now and get the remote start as well. Thanks for the reply. I was just hoping I would not have to add it.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

Ebay, Amazon, etc often have Ford goodies including the remote start at much better prices. And they are usually very easy to install. Well worth the convenience.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info on the key pad I've always wanted that but I did not know what was Involved I had no idea it was only a sticker lol. Like my status says rookie here. This forum is the bomb!!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU7POINT3 View Post
RKE stands for Remote Keyless Entry, and the box added on is basically an addition to the truck's GEM, the General Electronics Module. The GEM on most XLT, all Lariat and higher-end trucks (as far as I know) includes the circuitry to communicate with a remote entry fob. it
would you happen to have a pic of this box or where it should be located?

my truck has a fob. tried the ignition switch thing to program but nothing happened.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

I went and bought a fob off eBay and it came with instructions about turning the switch on real fast like 5 times or something like that....whatever the instructions were, I followed them to a tee and it worked great. I spent like $7 on the fob and it's been working great for about 6 months now. If you'd like for me to research what name brand it is and where I got it, I'll do that. But I remember just googling "remote key entry, or key fob" and going from there. Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I could program the fob but could program a key. Wanted the fob key combo and couldn't get the key function to work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.