Speaker upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speaker upgrades

I am looking for opinions on what to go with for a speaker brand/type to upgrade from the stock ones. I don't necessarily need anything with bass because I just installed a subwoofer (which sounds awesome). I just want something that is more crisp. What does everyone recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM

I installed these in place of my front 5x7 speakers. Sounds super clear, but you have to pay for it.

JL Audio C5-525 Evolution™ C5 Series 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
Old 02-24-2014, 12:37 PM

The C5s are good, but I'd go with a 6.5“. The ZRs are very nice, too. Even the C3s are good and cost less.

You talk about not needing bass because of your sub, but keep in mind that a subwoofer is typically for frequencies of 30-80hz. There are exceptions, but that's a common range. In most vehicles, the largest "hole" or weak spot is your midbass. Basically anything from 50-250hz (again, this range can vary, but this is the general range where most systems can't keep up). For good, quality sound, you want the best possible reproduction across the entire spectrum, and therefore, midbass is arguably the most important part to address properly.

You shouldn't have any problem getting plenty of highs from a decent set of amplified tweeters. You mention "crisp", but in reality, smoothness (and power handling) is typically what sets expensive tweeters apart from cheaper ones.

My point is that it's not hard to get lots of treble to keep up with your subs, but where you'll really notice a significant increase in sound quality is when you properly address your midbass. And to do this, you want a good set of mids (6.5 will perform better than 5.25 of same model), and you want to give them plenty of good, clean power. And deaden the crap out of your doors. Depending on the speaker, you may also look into sealing your doors. All of this takes work, but it pays off.

Anyway, just know that the "bass" from door speakers is totally different than the bass from your sub(s), and it's just as important, if not even more so.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the input. I understand what your saying. I just need something/anything better than the stock ones. They tend to get distorted. My dad had Bose in his hummer as well as my mom did in her Tahoe. They both sounded really good. Just been shopping around. I'm in no rush. I'm not in a hurry to go deaf.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo6.4 View Post
Thanks for the input. I understand what your saying. I just need something/anything better than the stock ones. They tend to get distorted. My dad had Bose in his hummer as well as my mom did in her Tahoe. They both sounded really good. Just been shopping around. I'm in no rush. I'm not in a hurry to go deaf.
Ya, just about anything will be better than stock.

What you say is true. My hearing is really bad for my age (36), and it's 100% due to loud music.

Check out JL C3 or even C2. They are good for the price. There is cheaper stuff out there, and better stuff, but not likely cheaper AND better. No company has put more R&D into their flagship lines, and you gotta figure at least some of that rubs off into their lower product lines.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have the c3's in my front doors and they sound amazing. I have a JL 4 channel 400w amp, that is bridged to two channels (200w per speaker) and those bad boys are crystal clear. You can turn them up so loud it's actually painful and it's still clear. Remember, you can add speakers and they will sound good, but if you want crisp clear mids/highs you're gonna need a good amp and need to tune it properly. I onyl go with JL audio for my truck and my boat. And all my stuff sounds amazing. I have the 13.5" stealthbox for my bass in my truck. Looks great and sounds great. Can't even tell it's there cause it's under the seat.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:05 AM

^^^ agree with what everyone is saying. JL has always been and always will be one of the greats. I, however, decided to go with Polk Db7s which are 5x7 full range speakers. I replaced all four because hoping for some extra sound with out adding a sub. Realize now that the rear seats tend to block too much of the sound to make them as effective as the fronts. I wired them to an alpine 4 channel amp and am very pleased with the sound. This is a much cheaper OPTION as I had less the 300 for everything. You could save a few bucks and just replace the front door speakers. This is still running through the factory head unit as well. I can only turn it up to about half on the radio before it gets too loud for me. Just my two cents. Either way as everyone said, anything other than factory will be a huge upgrade haha. Good luck in choosing!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.