OEM speaker replacement without an amp? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM speaker replacement without an amp?

I'm looking to replace my OEM speakers but don't want to go as far as buying component sets that will require an amp. I've ran component sets in the past and don't want to run the extra wires or pay for an amp. I'm a fairly loyal JL Audio guy from the past but am open to other mfrs. Considering the JL Audio C2 line. The truck is an 08 CCSB without Nav or Sync but has the sub behind the back seat. XM and such work just fine for me. What suggestions do you all have?

Should I purchase individual components?

Will a component system work with a crossover and no amp?

Basically what is the best quality sound I can achieve without adding an amplifier to aftermarket speakers?

The same questions for replacing the subwoofer?

Thanks

Last edited by SpDyDaVe; 01-13-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why change the speakers out if you're not going to do it right? If you want to do it right, spend a little more $$. Get the JL stuff, it's worth it. See my signature for what I have as far what I have. I would suggest an amp and at least two door speakers up front. The rear ones aren't so important because they are blocked by the seats. If you get the fronts sounding good, you don't even hear the rears. JMO
Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 PM

For the fronts where would you mount an amp? I'm fine with crossovers but don't need an over the top sound system in a truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM

Just go with the 400.1 JL amp and bridge it to two channels for the two fronts. You will have crystal clear mids and highs. I put my amp behind my back seat.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 AM

I had the 400/4 on my previous car paired to a full JL Audio XR 650csi set in the front and VR690's in the back deck. Amazing sound but the money was the killer.

I really just want to upgrade the speakers for a cleaner sound and not mess with adding amps.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Focals. Example- infinity kappas are badass when amped- focals are louder and krisper without an amp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-07-2014, 08:38 AM

I pulled the stock fronts out and replaced with Infinity reference 6.5" speakers that I had taking up space in the shop. I didn't use an amp, just pulled the stocks and put in the new ones. The sound was far better and much clearer. If I had another pair, I would replace the ones in the back pillars.

I was able to use the ford stock speakers to mount in my toolbox for a toolbox radio. They work great there.

Very simple and cheap project to get a better than stock sound quality without spending money on amps and what not. Depends on what you want, I was fine with the setup I would have.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 AM

If you don't listen to your stuff that loud then save the money on the amp. But if you like to crank it up now and then, or blast the radio while tail gating or whatnot then you will def want an amp. Best comparison I can give is no amp is like a stock f250. Amp tuned properly is like an f250 deleted and tuned. If you hear a good system it's like having a stock f250 then going for a ride in a tuned truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.