Dual Projector Retrofit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dual Projector Retrofit

This may have been asked before but I could not find a thread that was specific to what I am looking for. I really like the look of the dual projector's in some of the Ebay and Recon headlight but have heard the bad things about them. Has anyone done a dual projector setup like this? Is the issue that most projectors are two large to set in the housing side by side? This is all somewhat new to me other than the threads I have read through for single projectors. Just curious if it is possible to do. I am not very fond of the single projector look in the stock housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
From what I've seen on the recon lights they're not actually dual projectors, there is one projector then there is another headlight reflector for the hi beams. Click the link in my signature to see a true HID projector retrofit project that I have done myself, a few other members have done the same too. RECON HEADLIGHTS ARE JUNK THE LIGHT OUTPUT AT NIGHT IS HORRIBLE AND YOU'LL BE HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED. Sorry for the caps but I'm driving and Siri did it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

You'll also get some real good information on any HID retrofitting on WW.Hidplanet.com

Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

I realize the Recon's are junk and have looked through numerous Retrofit guides to include yours already. However like I said above, I am not a big fan of how the single projector looks in the housing.. To me it draws the eyes away from the rest of the truck and gives the front the look of a surprised face with open eyes. I have only come across one set that someone did that looks halfway decent. I just like the look of the Recon's, hence why I wanted to retrofit them and not use them how they currently come..
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

You can retrofit the Recons, they're not dual projector tho. There's only 1 projector per headlight, but you can probably retrofit another projector in the halogens high beams place

Lol what you described about the look of the single projector is how I feel about Recons, but that's why beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say
Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does anybody have a picture of the Recon headlight output on a wall? I have searched and asked before with no answer... I'm just asking again if anybody has any information
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 PM

The light output from a Recon projector is a full circle, no cutoff at all. If you put a hid bulb in them you get two rings of light with really dark areas in the middle, just like a Maglight flashlight that has been twisted completely out of focus. Even if you could adjust the bulb inside the housing to focus them, they have zero cutoff and would be two complete circles of light.

To retrofit a real HID projector into a Recon headlight you need:

1) A Morimoto Retro-Quik System that includes a recon/spyder headlight adapter plate to mount the projector in the recon housing ($300 with H1 bulb and ballast or $150 if you already have those)
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...roducts_id=254

2) Then a Bi-xenon MotoControl 9008/H13 harness so your lights don't go out every time you activate the high beam solenoids ($35 for this)
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...ducts_id=14029

3) And finally some OCI Butyl Rubber Glue to reseal the headlight ($15 for this)
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...roducts_id=792

To accomplish the retrofit you need to take the headlight apart and dremmel the back of the headlight housing because the Morimoto projectors are slightly larger than the crappy recon projectors. Then you need to reseal the back of the housing with something like JB weld epoxy and put the headlight back together.

Spyder headlights (which are recon copies sold on ebay) actually have a better projector than the Recons, better CCFL halo rings, don't use a permanent glue like the Recons so they are easier to open, and they're cheaper. The Retro-Quik was made for them so you might not have to dremmel the housing of the Spyder headlights, but I'm not sure about that. If you attempt this retrofit and don't already have Recon headlights, I would try the Spyder headlights out first.

I'm actually in the middle of this project right now. I already had crappy Recon headlights so I decided to hack them up and see if I could make something better. I got too busy to work on them for a week, but the first one is almost done and I can give you some pics when I'm finished.

-Nate
Old 12-13-2013, 04:36 AM

check out ANZO headlights

ANZO USA | FORD F-250/350/450/550 SUPERDUTY 11-14 PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS BLACK CLEAR AMBER (CCFL) - Projector Headlights - Headlights
Old 12-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mr Hahn, Thank you for your reply! Can't wait to see your finished project!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to oregoncalfroper
Yes Mr Hahn, waiting to see those pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.