Rapid Supplemental heater fuse ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 05:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rapid Supplemental heater fuse ?

Is has been in the 20's here in New Hampshire the past few days and it appears that my rapid heater is not working. Yes, my truck has it, was lucky enough to have received the original window sticker for the truck. Is there a fuse for this ? I know the power runs right from the battery. Looked in the owners manual and nothing listed in the fuse diagram for it or the power distro under the hood. I know I have a bad blend door motor , the one on the bottom thankfully as it makes a funny clicking sound. Could this cause the behavior I am seeing with the rapid heat ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I too have rapid heat and since day one I swear it doesn't make much of a difference. It only blows mildly warm air when the fan is on two bars, anything after that just cold air.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is a 150 amp fuseable link in the POS cable from the passanger batt to the fire wall.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:09 AM

Yeah I saw that cable but did not know what it went to. Can you change the fuse here ? Looked like it was a sealed unit
Old 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Update - In looking at the inline 150AMP fuse on 1 of the positive battery cables, it does not appear to be serviceable. At least I could not find a way to open it. However, in the process of taking the cable off and looking / bending the cable etc. it must have done something to the fuseable link inside that house because now it appears the Rapid Heater is working. How do I know this you ask. We'll, jumped in the truck on my way home from work. It was 28 degrees out, truck fired right up and by the time I made it out of the parking garage it was blowing warm to hot air , with the coolant temp gauge needle still on C , plus I am sure that any diesel would make the coolant warm enough in under 2 minutes.

So the question remains is this fuseable link serviceable ?? Or is there some push button switch inside or something ? Or did I just fix a bad connection by way of moving the cable around. Hmmmm
Old 11-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Just some info on the fuseable link. No fuseable link is serviceable. It is a section of wire that is meant to melt aka "blow" when amperage rating is exceeded. To replace them you cut the "link" section out of the wire and splice in a new link. The replacements are usually about 9-10" long. If you want to test one, you can check for voltage at at the battery side of the cable, while under load, and then measure voltage at the rapid heat element, once again while under load. The reason it has to be tested under load is a single strand will carry the voltage with no load, but once you turn he heater on there won't be enough current available to run it. I think the spec is you are allowed .1 volt drop across the link. Hope this helps.

Last edited by highup0; 11-29-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Highup0 is helps explain things, thank you. Looks like I must have wiggled the fuse connection inside the fuse connector as it seems all is now working. For example 18 degrees this morning and @ 1minute after starting I had warm to hot air. Is this a dealer serviceable part that is replaceable if needed ? Meaning is there a ford part for this that can be ordered to replace if I need to ?
Old 11-30-2013, 08:32 PM

There is no fuse holder. It looks like a wire, with just a section that's meant to melt away. I'd assume that you had a bad connection at the battery instead, but no guarantee because I obviously haven't seen it. As far as a fusible link being serviceable, if you go to ford they are probably going to sell you the whole cable. If you go to napa they will sell you a section to splice in. You could run your own cable, and install an ANL fuse of whatever amperage is required. Since yours is working now, I doubt you have a problem with the link though. Glad to be a help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.