Factory Reverse camera to aftermarket HU - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Factory Reverse camera to aftermarket HU

Just had a aftermarket HU installed (kenwood DNX570hd) it has the RCA camera plug on the back but the Ford camera is a set of wires.

Besides the tailgate location can someone tell me where I can tap into the camera wires to convert them to RCA? Closer to the HU the better.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Serving Our Country!

Subscribed... wondering the same thing.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood19 View Post
Subscribed... wondering the same thing.
I've been told that there should be a 8-10 pin plug behind the HU that only has two wires. Those wires are video+ and - Soder those onto a RCA cord and I'm good to go.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is your stock backup camera viewed in the rearview mirror? If so then it wont work when you try to run it to your new head unit. The resolution for the stock camera output isn't enough to work on an aftermarket HU screen and you end up with lines running through the image and it looks horrible. I know because I just had a Kenwood DDX790 installed last week and they tried to make it work how you're talking about and it looked horrible.

I ended up buying a cheap Pyle backup camera (license plate mount) for like $30 through Amazon and it works perfect. I still have the oem in the mirror and the new one coming through the HU.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
Is your stock backup camera viewed in the rearview mirror? If so then it wont work when you try to run it to your new head unit. The resolution for the stock camera output isn't enough to work on an aftermarket HU screen and you end up with lines running through the image and it looks horrible. I know because I just had a Kenwood DDX790 installed last week and they tried to make it work how you're talking about and it looked horrible.

I ended up buying a cheap Pyle backup camera (license plate mount) for like $30 through Amazon and it works perfect. I still have the oem in the mirror and the new one coming through the HU.
No mine went to the Navi Head Unit so maybe it will work better...maybe

I actually have been thinking about getting one of those license plate cams for the front for those tight parking situations.

Last edited by Doozer; 09-03-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
No mine went to the Navi Head Unit so maybe it will work better...maybe

I actually have been thinking about getting one of those license plate cams for the front for those tight parking situations.
Yeah then you should be fine if they can tap into it.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post

In my surfing for info today i ran across this help forum for idata's maestro Rr. Basically saying the problem with the mirror camera having lines might actually be the RCA cable. Using a stranded will cause noise over a coaxle RCA that is shielded. Take a look. Just for anyone else working this issue. If you look up the difference between the two cables you'll get a better idea of why the stranded causes noise.

The Ultimate Online Support • View topic - Factory Microphone Retention & Backup Camera
Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
In my surfing for info today i ran across this help forum for idata's maestro Rr. Basically saying the problem with the mirror camera having lines might actually be the RCA cable. Using a stranded will cause noise over a coaxle RCA that is shielded. Take a look. Just for anyone else working this issue. If you look up the difference between the two cables you'll get a better idea of why the stranded causes noise.

The Ultimate Online Support • View topic - Factory Microphone Retention & Backup Camera
Great info from both!

Doozer...

That makes a lot of sense, as it does sound like it could be interference the way jgos929 describes the resulting display. Please let me know how yours works out.

jgos929...

Not sure if you know or not, but did the shop have to route the camera feed down from the headliner, or was the feed already present in the connector Doozer was referring to?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood19 View Post
Great info from both!

Doozer...

That makes a lot of sense, as it does sound like it could be interference the way jgos929 describes the resulting display. Please let me know how yours works out
Finished today. Purchased a coax RCA with exposed wire end from Radio Shack $6.97. Attached to the two vid wires on the OEM harness and plugged it in to HU. I then had to connect the reverse signal wire from the aftermarket HU to a reverse signal wire in the truck. Found one under the dash by steering wheel. Works very well.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Finished today. Purchased a coax RCA with exposed wire end from Radio Shack $6.97. Attached to the two vid wires on the OEM harness and plugged it in to HU. I then had to connect the reverse signal wire from the aftermarket HU to a reverse signal wire in the truck. Found one under the dash by steering wheel. Works very well.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear it works.

I appreciate the update. I'm planning to buy my next truck sometime early next year (after my finances recover from a recent cross country move and new house). In the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the newer trucks and the Powerstokes. Threads like this certainly help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.