Amp location in 2010? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amp location in 2010?

Hi all, I've been scouring the Internet and can not get an answer I can depend on ...if I even get an answer. Hoping someone can help.

I want to upgrade my system by replacing everything but the HU. I need to know where the amp is for my system so I can hook up my line processor then my new amp downstream.

I've heard it's under the dash or its under the center seat, or its built into the HU. I've checked in the dash and just don't see one. Nothing is under the center seat. So I'm trying to confirm its existence and or location. Can't find a wiring diagram either (unless I pay $50-100 for a manual).

I have the 8 speaker Premium Sound with Nav and sync.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have the factory sub behind the right rear seat? if so the sub is in that plastic box. If you don't have the sub I'm afraid I don't know.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

it's up on top of the parking brake. Next to impossible to get to without taking a bunch of stuff out first. Trust me it's there, I had to deal with it when doing my stereo a couple of years ago...
Old 06-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
Do you have the factory sub behind the right rear seat? if so the sub is in that plastic box. If you don't have the sub I'm afraid I don't know.
magnum
There is an amp there but I believe it is for the sub. I could be wrong though. I had a 2008 and the premium sound is different then the 2010. The 2008 actually sounds a LOT better.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedynoguy View Post
it's up on top of the parking brake. Next to impossible to get to without taking a bunch of stuff out first. Trust me it's there, I had to deal with it when doing my stereo a couple of years ago...
I'll check again. It will be a pain because that is where I put my car remote start module and it was tight. Right next to the relays for the upfitter switches.

I see you have an audio control and JL. I assume you installed it down stream from the factor amp? Where did you end up installing it and the new amp?

Last edited by Doozer; 06-30-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
magnum
There is an amp there but I believe it is for the sub. I could be wrong though. I had a 2008 and the premium sound is different then the 2010. The 2008 actually sounds a LOT better.
Oh ya, it's for the sub. Guess I'm only familiar with the 08's. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Doozer, it was a royal pain in the can! Crutchfield swore there wasn't an external amp. So, I spliced in to the (what I thought were the speaker level outputs coming out of the OEM stereo. After calling crutchfield and audio control many times, I called a friend that is a Ford tech and he told me where the amp is. So, after re-splicing all of the wires I fed the audio control from the speaker wires between the OEM amp and the speakers. Then, I ran all new speaker wires from the JL 900/5 that I mounted under the passenger rear seat on an aluminum plate that I installed in place if the cargo tray. A lot of work for sure, but so worth it in the end.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Doozer, it was a royal pain in the can! Crutchfield swore there wasn't an external amp. So, I spliced in to the (what I thought were the speaker level outputs coming out of the OEM stereo. After calling crutchfield and audio control many times, I called a friend that is a Ford tech and he told me where the amp is. So, after re-splicing all of the wires I fed the audio control from the speaker wires between the OEM amp and the speakers. Then, I ran all new speaker wires from the JL 900/5 that I mounted under the passenger rear seat on an aluminum plate that I installed in place if the cargo tray. A lot of work for sure, but so worth it in the end.
Dynoguy, thanks for the info. I'm going with JL c5 comps in front and coax in the back with a sub ( don't know which yet), LCQ-1, and a JL 900/5 also. What sub did you go with and where did you install your audio control component?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've got the JL stealth box under the 2/3 of the rear seat. It's ok, but it doesn't hit like the Supercrew sound box I had in my old super duty. I'm not sure I would do the stealthbox again. The DQL8 is in the center console.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
I've got the JL stealth box under the 2/3 of the rear seat. It's ok, but it doesn't hit like the Supercrew sound box I had in my old super duty. I'm not sure I would do the stealthbox again. The DQL8 is in the center console.
I don't listen to music with big bass. mostly rock, country. If you want to sell the stealth box let me know. I think I'll put the LCQ-1 under my front center seat also. Did u buy your wire/cable from JL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.