HID Retro Finished - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HID Retro Finished

Finally got around too completing my HID Retro this week. Started this project in February and never got around to finishing it due to my busy schedule. My retrofit consists of the following;

FXR 3.0 3" lenses
Morimoto 5Five Bulbs and Ballasts
5000k Bulbs
Apollo Shrouds

Now here are some pics.....

From the driver side

[IMG][/IMG]

From the drivers seat

[IMG][/IMG]

Passenger Headlight

[IMG][/IMG]

Front View of both headlights

[IMG][/IMG]

Now I know this retrofit wasnt perfect but it was a good learning experience for me. I need to play with the bulb placement a bit on both lights to get my cutoff clearer. I also need to use some washers on the top tabs of both light to aim them down just a touch as some people were still flashing me. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 AM

Looks great. I still don't know how I feel about the projectors..
How much did it set you back?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 AM

I think right around $550-600. I bought a second set of lights to retro so that was another $150 added to the total cost. Parts from the retrofit source was around $375 i think and then miscellaneous things like epoxy, paint and a few tools. One of the best mods I have done to my truck.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAO View Post
Looks great. I still don't know how I feel about the projectors..
How much did it set you back?
What is there not to know>? They will blow the stock lights and output pattern out of the water? You don't know if you want to see more light on the roadway? You will never regret this mod, trust me, I've done it.

OP why didn't you black out the yellow reflector? The rest of your front end is blacked out.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony97gt View Post
What is there not to know>? They will blow the stock lights and output pattern out of the water? You don't know if you want to see more light on the roadway? You will never regret this mod, trust me, I've done it.

OP why didn't you black out the yellow reflector? The rest of your front end is blacked out.
Might still black them out, need to order a new set of lights and swap lenses as mine are scratched up real bad. I also have something on the inside of my lenses that is etched into the plastic which makes my lights look like they are fogged up.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verifine View Post
Might still black them out, need to order a new set of lights and swap lenses as mine are scratched up real bad. I also have something on the inside of my lenses that is etched into the plastic which makes my lights look like they are fogged up.
When I did mine I just removed the reflector and sprayed about 4 coats of black spray paint on the inside surface. IMO it looks much better on the black trucks.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony97gt View Post

maybe i will do them in all black
Old 07-10-2013, 04:36 AM

I might give it a go Tony, but spray paint and I just dont get along sometimes lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Premium Member

I love when I see somebody do HID's right.

To the guy not sure about them... if you do what the OP did, and get proper HID projectors and all that there's no reason not too. If your light pattern doesn't look like the pictures he posted it's not quality stuff.

I personally don't want to put HID's in my truck, even proper ones because of my lift and no matter what I'll end up blinding lot's of people, I get flashed with the zXe bulbs already.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verifine View Post
I might give it a go Tony, but spray paint and I just dont get along sometimes lol.
Just don't eat it. Make sure if you do it, you spray several light coats from 4 different angles each coat. Those little ridges in the surface of the lens need to be fully coated on each coat. It's not hard and since your initial coat is the one that actually visible (because you are coating the inside surface not the outside surface of the lens) it's pretty hard to screw it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.