Help with Stereo Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with Stereo Install

Let preface this by saying I have searched this forum, that forum, google and everywhere and either the info I have found was wrong or I am illiterate and cant figure it out. Either is just as possible as the other.

So I just got a new Kenwood DNX570HD. Got most of the wires ran and got down to the backup cam activation wire and the parking brake wire. First with the parking brake wire...I found the switch behind the pedal and tapped each wire with no luck...when I goto my video source it says "Parking Brake Off." Doesn't matter which wire I tapped...same result. Here is the plug I am talking about:

So...please help me out here. I don't care about bypassing this so we can watch dvd's while moving. I just want it hooked up properly so we can watch dvd's with the parking brake on as needed.

Second is the reverse cam activation. I dont have the camera in yet but I wanted to test the activation by putting my truck in reverse to see if the unit switched to the cam and said "no video" or something. I set the unit up for the reverse cam override so it would switch automatically. From what I found online there is the green/brown wire under the steering wheel theory:

Didn't work.

Then I found the green brown under the drivers kick panel theory:

Also didn't work.

I'm begging for help here. I have quit for the night because frustration was setting in but the camera should be here tomorrow and I want to get this finished tomorrow evening after work.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 06:04 PM

I can't help with the Parking brake wire since I bypassed it altogether, however with the backup camera, these following threads may be of use to you:

2008 Tailgate on a 2005: Can I make the camera work?
My custom backup camera setup
back up camera upfitter switch mod.

I don't know where you found the green/brown wire theory from, the wires you're looking for are in the Passenger side A pillar which run to the rearview mirror for if you had the option of a rearview mirror with backup screen built in. The wires you're looking for are the 4 wires:

Reverse activation lead is Green/Brown
Video + is White/Green
Video - is Brown/Violet
Ground is Black

You can cut all the wires and run it straight to the back of your deck or you can try to preserve the wires running up to the rearview for future use and splice into them instead of fully cutting the wires all the way through, your choice. Also, you can run a 12V signal from an upfitter switch as an interrupt to turn on your backup camera at any time as well, just a thought.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Thanks, someone on another forum stated the green/brown wire was under the steering wheel. eh well. I will pull the passenger pillar tomorrow and look. I dont have the factory rear view cam so I hope the wires I am looking for are still there.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:47 AM

Do you have an OEM or aftermarket camera? The Green/Brown wire for a reverse camera interrupt and ground wire is all you really need if you are going with an aftermarket camera, since the camera should come with an RCA plug that goes in the back of your receiver. I only assumed you were trying to hook up an OEM camera, thats why I directed you to the passenger A pillar. A quick easy way to check for operation is to wire it to the upfitter temporarily to give you a 12V that you can switch on and off without checking the reverse interrupt if it is still giving you trouble.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 AM

It is an aftermarket camera. I decided to just try the parking brake bypass using a 12v relay for the parking brake. It's funny I can find how to bypass it easier than I can find the correct way.

The reverse interrupt is really the only thing I can't figure out with the cam. Since its an aftermarket cam do you think I will still have the green/brown wire on the passenger side?

Did you bypass your parking brake with the relay?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I bypassed my parking break by grounding it, works perfect

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM

Wish it was that easy. These new ones have extra crap involved unfortunately.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksjr View Post

Second is the reverse cam activation. I dont have the camera in yet but I wanted to test the activation by putting my truck in reverse to see if the unit switched to the cam and said "no video" or something. I set the unit up for the reverse cam override so it would switch automatically.

Thanks in advance!
I may be misunderstanding on this, but since the unit said "no video" when you shifted the truck into reverse it seems to be working correctly, since you do not have the camera hooked up yet!
Once you hook the camera up to the unit it should show the video from the camera, in place of the "no video" message.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsSD View Post
I may be misunderstanding on this, but since the unit said "no video" when you shifted the truck into reverse it seems to be working correctly, since you do not have the camera hooked up yet!
Once you hook the camera up to the unit it should show the video from the camera, in place of the "no video" message.
I was expecting it to say no video but it wouldn't do anything. I am going to look on the passengers side tonight for the wire mentioned above and go from there. I found another forum that claims a blank/pink wire on older models I might try. Otherwise I am just going to run it to my reverse light and be done. Already over it, lol
Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM

It MAY need to have a camera hooked up to even kick to that input channel... I don;t know that, just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.