Train Horn Install Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Train Horn Install Question

Quick question as I'm in the middle of my train horn install. The factory horn from the truck is what I planned on using for the activation switch on the train horn. If I wire the factory horn positive wire into the positive wire for the air switch, will this work? I thought I read somewhere that the factory horn runs a positive constant and uses a ground activation switch. If that's true, and I wire it up to the positive, I'm thinking that would mean the horn would blow constantly. Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm dumb when it comes to certain things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You're headed down the right path. The horn circuit is energized (constant hot) and pushing the horn button supplies the ground (it doesn't send power).

So, yes, your horn will blow uncommanded if you already ran a ground for the air horn solenoid and tap the OEM horn power wire as the 12v source.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews

What horns you running? I suggest to run a off and on switch for the compressor, it's a good back up if the pressure switch goes out on you, which it will you just don't know when. I hooked up mine on my upfitters-
Aux 1- blows the Nathan's
Aux 2- off/ on switch for compressor
Aux 3- high idle
Aux 4/ nothing yet
Old 01-19-2013, 02:43 PM

I have the ignition source from the pressure switch going to my upfitter. Pretty sure the upfitter will control the compressor too.

So what if I wire the air valve positive as a constant and wire the negative to the factory horn negative trigger? Basically same setup as the factory horn. Would that work?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
That makes sense to me.. Just don't test it with ur horns hooked up so you don't blast the chit outta urself lol. What horns you using? Where you mounting everything?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Using hornblasters shocker kit I got for Xmas. Only got a 2 gallon tank but got the 2.54cfm compressor. Got a 4 trumpet setup. Sounds pretty loud, I tested it with my air compressor. Ran into a problem with the air valve. Wiring it with 12v and not getting any "click". Swapped wires thinking maybe they were reversed and still nothing. Weird thing is the instructions say red/black but both wires are grey.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Mounted everything behind the passenger front tire, between the frame and the outer edge of the truck.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Do you have pics of it? I have the same kit and I'm trying to figure out where to mount them and how. All the searching I've done it seems like people are mounting them in place of the spare tire or under the truck bed facing forward which seems stupid. I don't want to scare the chit out of me when I'm trying to blast someone else!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Yeah I'll post up some pics, but since the truck isn't jacked up they aren't the best quality. Basically, I dropped the passenger side step rail to give me room to work. I put the compressor up against the inside of the metal body and marked it to drill. Once I drilled 4 holes, I mounted the compressor, sideways. Next I used a metal strap (since it is more flexible than the iron strap) to fabricate a Cross-member (for lack of a better term) and used that as a mold. I then bent a strip of iron to match the strap and that is what I used to go across and hold the tank on one end. Then I just used a small piece of strap on the other end. It's only secured on 3 sides but it doesn't move. I tried to use the factory bolts to mount to so I didn't have to drill too much into the truck. I moved one of the bolts from the step to another hole so they lined up. Then I tore off a piece of diamond plate metal from my old boat trailer and spray painted it black. I used that to mount the horns (2 on the top, 2 on the bottom) and the air valve. Basically did the same thing with the iron strap in the front, and a small metal strap in the rear. I did have to drill a hole on the body side for the other end of my iron strap for the horns. Let me know if that doesn't make sense, hopefully the pics will help. Also got a sinister coolant filter up under there so ignore the blue hoses and the filter.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.