Aftermarket Head Unit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket Head Unit

I would like to replace the factory unit. want to keep the sync and steering wheel controls. want a plug and play unit. any suggestion? Cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You will need a PAC MS-FRD1 to retain the SYNC and brand specific SWI interface.

Pac-Audio.com Product Search | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskwezm View Post
You will need a PAC MS-FRD1 to retain the SYNC and brand specific SWI interface.

Pac-Audio.com Product Search | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
So aftermarket head units with Bluetooth will not work with the steering wheel controls? thats really all I am after is bluetooth and the volume and station controls.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
most aftermarket headunits use there own interface for bluetooth and you can add teh steering wheel control module.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Or get an iDatalink Maestro RR and a compatible Kewnood deck. If you get on the iDatalink Maestro website it has a vehicle chooser and everything. With a compatible head unit this should give you all the features of Sync and retain your steering wheel controls with no extra screens or controllers.

http://maestro.idatalink.com/product...product_id/102

I have read mixed reviews on it though, so make sure you do a bunch of research before you get anything.

Last edited by Alaskan_awd; 11-14-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The steering wheel controls will still work for the SYNC features, but have no control over the radio without a SWI interface.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_awd View Post
Or get an iDatalink Maestro RR and a compatible Kewnood deck. If you get on the iDatalink Maestro website it has a vehicle chooser and everything. With a compatible head unit this should give you all the features of Sync and retain your steering wheel controls with no extra screens or controllers.

iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR

I have read mixed reviews on it though, so make sure you do a bunch of research before you get anything.
I bought the Maestro after saying I wouldn't because the company screwed around so long releasing it....I pulled out my other controller...to me, the Maestro wasn't worth it....the steering wheel controls were nicer but the kenwood's bluetooth controls I like better than Sync....though I have iPhone 5 with Siri that I like better than sync...so maybe that is why I didn't like the maestro....I ended up pulling it back out
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
The steering wheel controls will still work for the SYNC features, but have no control over the radio without a SWI interface.
How would you plan to integrate Sync with an aftermarket headunit? You may not be understanding the way Sync works....

Edit: I see your credintials....I'm assuming I am missing something here because you most likely do know what you are talking about....

Edit 2: nevermind...I see you were the same as posted above...I see what you are meaning....sorry for that....
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250Jason View Post
How would you plan to integrate Sync with an aftermarket headunit? You may not be understanding the way Sync works....
I know a little bit about SYNC. We (PAC) take the audio from the SYNC system and route it through the AUX input of the radio.To access SYNC, press the media/source button on the steering wheel, put the radio to AUX mode, use the display to access SYNCH features.

I should also add even with a SWI interface, you will not be able to program ANY SYNC buttons to control the aftermarket radio. You can program the vol +- or seek up/down.If you want to use the SYNC buttons as buttons to control the aftermarket radio, you will have to disconnect the SYNC module.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I know a little bit about SYNC. We (PAC) take the audio from the SYNC system and route it through the AUX input of the radio.To access SYNC, press the media/source button on the steering wheel, put the radio to AUX mode, use the display to access SYNCH features.

I should also add even with a SWI interface, you will not be able to program ANY SYNC buttons to control the aftermarket radio. You can program the vol +- or seek up/down.If you want to use the SYNC buttons as buttons to control the aftermarket radio, you will have to disconnect the SYNC module.
Yup...didn't see that you were the one posting about the PAC MSFRD1 above...understand what you mean now...apologies for being a db

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on the last comment about programming the sync buttons by disconnecting the sync module... that is the issue I am currently having....I want my phone button on the steering wheel to activate the telephone on the Kenwood head unit....is it as easy as completely disconnecting the sync module and following directions to program it through the PAC SWI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.