A/V Upgrade in the planning. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A/V Upgrade in the planning.

I'll be picking up a 2010 F350 Friday and I want to start planning my A/V upgrade stuff.

I have done allot of custom car audio/video in my vehicles so I am looking forward to a new project.

In my last car I had a nice set of German made Rainbow components up front, a TC Sounds 12" TC3000 in the rear, I made a fiberglass box that blended in with the rear cargo area. I enjoy quality over loudness, but I really enjoy a system that can get plenty loud and maintain quality. In this system I had a Elemental Designs amp feeding 150w rms to each side in the front, and another ED amp feeding the sub with 1200w rms.

In the this truck I plan on going much bigger with the components in the front and not so big with the subwoofer, maybe a single 12" or dual 10's, but nothing quite as big as that TC3000 I had (it weighed almost 50lbs alone). I'd like to get at least 6.5" mids in there if possible.

I don't have the truck yet so I can get measurements but I am wondering what the stock speakers are up front, what is the max depth I have to work with for the mid range and how big of a baffle can I use before the speakers hit the door panels (I would rather not put an aftermarket grill over them and cut the door panels if I don't have to). Also is there a stock spot for mounting tweeters or am I going to have to cut the door panels anyway?

How about running new wire into the door, is there plenty of room to get decent sized wire from the deck location into the doors?

Does anyone have pictures of the inside of the door with speakers out?

Thanks,

Cameron

Edit: Here are a few pictures from my last car, this was my first time working with fiberglass but it turned out pretty good, before and after carpeting.
Attached Thumbnails
A/V Upgrade in the planning.-4.jpg   A/V Upgrade in the planning.-3.jpg   A/V Upgrade in the planning.-dscn1940.jpg  

Last edited by Alaskan_awd; 11-11-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well after doing a bunch of research, I am surprised how limited the room is to install a good subwoofer. I think I am going to pull out the jump seat and build a nice center console and incorporate a sub into it. It will be allot of work as I want the console to look factory but I think this is my best option, the next question is do I want to use fiberglass and paint it, or MDF and have it upholstered to match the interior?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 PM

This is what I did except I had the center console rather than the jumpseat. I re-used the lid and cup holders and incorporated them into the center console. I used MDF and have a 10" sub downfiring.

The height on the console is about 3" higher(my goal was to make the lid level with the door armrest). I was able to have a 5" or so deep storage compartment. Works great, sounds great. I was able extend the console to the dash and hide the amplifier under there. Went with the new Rockford amps that are tiny but sound good. Won't win any competitions but clean sound. I have a 10" shallow punch as the sub.

I've been meaning to take pictures for a while but kept putting it off.

I wrapped mine in vinyl. I actually plan to pull it back out and glass it over then paint it. I think that will look a little better. If I had it professionally upholstered, I think it could be good but I wasn't able to find a good enough fabric locally and I'm not an expert at that.

But overall, it was easy enough to do and it looks like you have the know how to get it done. Make sure to post pics of the process....would love to get some tips to put in place for when I pull mine back out and refinish it.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250Jason View Post
This is what I did except I had the center console rather than the jumpseat. I re-used the lid and cup holders and incorporated them into the center console. I used MDF and have a 10" sub downfiring.

The height on the console is about 3" higher(my goal was to make the lid level with the door armrest). I was able to have a 5" or so deep storage compartment. Works great, sounds great. I was able extend the console to the dash and hide the amplifier under there. Went with the new Rockford amps that are tiny but sound good. Won't win any competitions but clean sound. I have a 10" shallow punch as the sub.

I've been meaning to take pictures for a while but kept putting it off.

I wrapped mine in vinyl. I actually plan to pull it back out and glass it over then paint it. I think that will look a little better. If I had it professionally upholstered, I think it could be good but I wasn't able to find a good enough fabric locally and I'm not an expert at that.

But overall, it was easy enough to do and it looks like you have the know how to get it done. Make sure to post pics of the process....would love to get some tips to put in place for when I pull mine back out and refinish it.
Will do, post pics of yours when you get a chance.

I think I am going to make a rear firing one, I should be able to get a deeper sub in there, I wont know until I get the truck up here though.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've decided to go with a 2 or probably 3 way active setup now (going to piece together my own system), which means the Kenwood deck is out, I'll have to look to Pioneer or Alpine or some one else for a good deck that will allow me to go active. I think I'm going to go all out and attempt to glass the doors, I guess I'll have to if I go with a 3 way setup anyway.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive pretty much got all my equipment ready to go other than sound deadening material and some power wire.

Focal Krx2 (2-way up front)
Zapco iForce 4100 (4 channel, 150@2ohm 100@4ohm)
Audio Control Lc7i (LOC, for now..thinking about the 3sixty.3 or other dsp)
Pioneer ts-sw3001S2 (400rms shallow mount)
Spl2k ported box for behind rear seats
Audison SR 1D (460@2ohm mono)

Dont plan for rear fill right now but have a set of hertz hsk 165 (i think) if I decide too.

Just got to find time to get started and maybe when its not so cold out

Edit: I am keeping oem HU in place but Im also considering a pioneer deh-80prs to run the audio system, and installing in center console....cant make up my mind.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 PM

Here are some pictures of my console.

Side View...you can see how I didn't cut the back hinge mount deep enough causing the lid to sit about a 1/4 inch high...the flat piece extending to the dash pulls out and the amp is under there....think I have a pic of it....let me look...

Showing inside the console....about 5 inches deep

Showing underneath where the sub downfires...cheapo mounts where an after thought but work...

Backside...I plan to glass in the original cup holders and put the power outlet back in there....

Showing where the amp is under the front piece that covers to the dash....not really happy with how it comes to the dash...the plan is to extend it out better when I pull it out to glass it...

Last edited by f250Jason; 11-13-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That turned out pretty good, I might have to find a stock center console so I can integrate it instead of going from scratch.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by f250Jason View Post
Here are some pictures of my console.

Side View...you can see how I didn't cut the back hinge mount deep enough causing the lid to sit about a 1/4 inch high...the flat piece extending to the dash pulls out and the amp is under there....think I have a pic of it....let me look...

Showing inside the console....about 5 inches deep

Showing underneath where the sub downfires...cheapo mounts where an after thought but work...

Backside...I plan to glass in the original cup holders and put the power outlet back in there....

Showing where the amp is under the front piece that covers to the dash....not really happy with how it comes to the dash...the plan is to extend it out better when I pull it out to glass it...

That looks very nice. It would have been nice to incorporate another storage tray on the tranny hump instead of being flat, but either way its a nice set up.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I finally have the truck in my possession and have started ordering parts.

My new plan is to keep the stock deck (I fell in love with sync on my 3100 mile road trip and it looks nice). So I have ordered a JBL MS-8 to control the processing (if anyone is looking to integrate a very nice quality setup into your stock deck, this is the way to go!) I found it on Amazon today for $414 with free shipping!

I am now trying to pick out speakers, I have decided to go with a 3 way active setup now that I have the MS-8. Ideally I would like to get an 8" mid-bass into the doors but I don't think I'll be able to fit one in there (I'll find out tomorrow or this weekend when I pull the door card off and have a look behind it). If that doesn't work out then I'll get a 6.5" or 7" mid-bass. Haven't decided on my mid or tweeters yet, but I am going to build pods into the sails (like the upgraded sound system has) for my tweets.

I still plan on building a center console for the sub, but I think I'll do a 10" or 12" down-firing if room permits.

The amps and MS-8 I'll mount behind the rear seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.