Another HID Retrofit Project- 2008 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another HID Retrofit Project- 2008 PSD

Here's a progress report thread on my own retrofit project for headlights and fogs. First off here's a list of the parts I just got to get started:

1. Extra set of 2008 Headlights
2. Bi-xenon: Acura TL / ZKW-R Lens Projectors
Ballasts: Matsu****a Gen V (35w)
Bulbs: New Osram 66240 D2S SVS 4200K
Shrouds: Apollo
Wire Harness: Relay: H13/9008
Rubber Housing Caps 75mm

3. 2008 Ford Fusion projector fogs
4. H11: Morimoto Elite HID System
Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Kelvin: 3000K
Wire Harness: H10/9145
Wire Harness Type: Heavy Duty Relay

I got the lights baked and peeled apart already so now I'm gonna start fitting the projectors and so on...

One thing though, wow, those Acura TL projectors are HUGE!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Another HID Retrofit Project- 2008 PSD-img_6942.jpg   Another HID Retrofit Project- 2008 PSD-img_6939.jpg   Another HID Retrofit Project- 2008 PSD-img_6936.jpg  

Last edited by h1gg1n5; 11-01-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subbed wanna see how it turns out!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 PM

Haha, same components as my install, you'll be awestruck at their performance. That being said, good luck with your build and I'll be paying attention. The more ideas the better in my opinion.
One thing I wanna add, I never understood why everyone out there tells people to use an oven and bake their headlights. Actually I think that's a foolish way to heat the butyl in order to separate the lenses off. One slip in attention or judgement and you end up with melted headlight housings, more often than not they get melted on the mounting tabs. That's why I use a heat gun instead. Get a $20 one from harbor freight and it works just as well without any hazard of melting any of the housing. That and you don't have to stink the house up using the oven too. Works much better in my opinoin...
Now that I'm done, GET BACK TO WORK!!

P.s. I like to trim the extra flashing off from around the projector housings with a dremel tool, helps the shrouds fit that much better. I also use a nice clear drying silicone adhesive/sealant to help glue the shrouds on the projectors. It holds extremely well and is soft enough to cut away if the need arises to remove the shrouds. My 2 cents. GL

Last edited by nuttcase21; 10-24-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttcase21 View Post
Haha, same components as my install, you'll be awestruck at their performance. That being said, good luck with your build and I'll be paying attention. The more ideas the better in my opinion.
Nice to hear some else went with the TL's as well. I figured I might as well spend the extra little bit up front and be able to see all the better. Thats one thing I like, to be able to see at night. Only thing higher on the list is working brakes. lol

Quote:
One thing I wanna add, I never understood why everyone out there tells people to use an oven and bake their headlights. Actually I think that's a foolish way to heat the butyl in order to separate the lenses off. One slip in attention or judgement and you end up with melted headlight housings, more often than not they get melted on the mounting tabs. That's why I use a heat gun instead. Get a $20 one from harbor freight and it works just as well without any hazard of melting any of the housing. That and you don't have to stink the house up using the oven too. Works much better in my opinoin...
Now that I'm done, GET BACK TO WORK!!
I agree but I have an oven already and luckily I have never melted any tabs yet (fingers crossed) and hopefully won't in the future. They are are a real pain in the a$$ to get apart. If I do another set I would use a heat gun and try it that way. The only problem with me and heat guns is I tend to heat one spot too much and "burn" the plastic.

I will keep the pic's coming as I go forward and show ya how it looks.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1gg1n5 View Post
Nice to hear some else went with the TL's as well. I figured I might as well spend the extra little bit up front and be able to see all the better. Thats one thing I like, to be able to see at night. Only thing higher on the list is working brakes. lol
Yeah I got turned on to the TL projectors when I bought my '08 TL Type-S. The headlights on that car were unbelievable. I used to get stopped all the time by people praising and *****ing about them. Add a set of $200 Ultinon bulbs and it's just dizzying the field of view you have. Thinking of going with a 50W set up on mine. If they're awesome at 35 watts, imagine what they'll be with 50 watts?!?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 PM

One more thing I forgot to add. I'm gonna use either the bleach method or the oven cleaner method to chemically remove the chrome off the lenses and bezels too before any painting comes into play. This will be the first time I try these but the internet says lots of people have had amazing results, and when does the internet lie!

Here's one persons results with oven cleaner:
Oven cleaner - necessary? - Page 3
Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah I got turned on to the TL projectors when I bought my '08 TL Type-S. The headlights on that car were unbelievable. I used to get stopped all the time by people praising and *****ing about them. Add a set of $200 Ultinon bulbs and it's just dizzying the field of view you have. Thinking of going with a 50W set up on mine. If they're awesome at 35 watts, imagine what they'll be with 50 watts?!?
I was VERY tempted to go with the 50 watts as well. The only reason I went with the 35's is because I went with as much OEM stuff as possible for reliability. Just wanted to play it safe. Plus I figured that it will literally be a night and day difference with the projectors anyways....
Old 10-24-2012, 10:49 PM

I've seen threads on this before in other forums, but got skeptical about drying the plastic out and creating potential cracks. Be surprised how you can "dry rot" plastic with chemicals. I usually just grab a scotchbrite pad and scuff the reflectors/chrome bits before I shoot them with paint. Haven't had a single spot of paint chip or flake off.
You may want to think about putting some desicant bags inside the headlight too. They help to keep moisture down. I put them in all my retros. I can give you some tips on how to make them if you're interested.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
You may want to think about putting some desicant bags inside the headlight too. They help to keep moisture down. I put them in all my retros. I can give you some tips on how to make them if you're interested.
Yeah that would be great. I would like to do as much as possible to them while they are apart.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:39 PM

Well I have to say I officially give the Easy off oven cleaner method 2 thumbs up. I sprayed the housings with it probably 5 times and rinsed with hot water between coats and it got all the chrome off and left me with nice shiny black plastic pieces. I tried to take pic's of the shiny-ness of the black up close but it looks like a nice exterior paint job. Better than I would have been able to do with a rattle can thats for sure.

Next I'm gonna make up some mounts for the TL projectors and mount them directly to the rear housing. I figure they are too heavy to mount to the reflector. I don't want to take a chance it may droop or sag at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Another HID Retrofit Project- 2008 PSD-get.jpg   Another HID Retrofit Project- 2008 PSD-img_6943.jpg   Another HID Retrofit Project- 2008 PSD-img_6946.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.