2012 key with 2008??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 key with 2008???

Hey all,
I am wondering if i could get a 2011 or 12 key to work with a 2008...it would be sweet to wire it all up and get it to work so the remote start works and all that.

Anyone done it yet?

or thinks it can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 PM

the way the 2012 vs the older style are programed are different, the 2012s you use a scan tool and program them through the network. the older style are programed to the module on their own. so sadly no. and just to be clear your talking about the '11 and '12 4 buttom remotes?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 PM

go get a aftermarket alarm /remote start and smart phone capabilities
Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 PM

yeah that is exactly what i was looking at...

ok well is an aftermarket alarm worth it? and can I hook it up to the horn chirp i have now (stock) because i cant stand those little bird chirps that they give you

Id like to get a python 872, same as viper as i can tell so either one is good. Are they really that good? would it be worth if I park my truck in a parking lot across the street, does it tell me if it is broken into or whatnot?

thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM

I think so

My alarm can open my tool box and has a proximity sensor /starter kill ,, I think it is a far better deterrent than stock ,, I don't have the smart phone model but If I do it again I would ,, it just was a little $$$ at the time and I had a good used Viper from my old truck
Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 PM

I had a viper on an old car but it always had problems, sometimes it wouldnt start and then sometimes it wouldnt let me put it in gear. i just dont want problems with it, my factory one does give me problems but it also isnt as great of an alarm. I can go into my truck bed and bounce around and it wouldnt even know, heck my friends window got smashed with factory alarm and it didnt even go off, his radio was stolen and everything!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm using the 2011 key on my 2010, and have been for over a year and a half. It can be programmed to lock/unlock the doors and panic, but is incompatible with the Ford remote start. You do need both OEM keys to program the 2011 key to your truck. If you don't have both, the dealer has to program the new key.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM

hmmm, i like it because it is all on one key but i wish it had the remote start not that i have it now or anything haha, I will just have to go to best buy to see how the viper ones feel and look and how big they are. I kind of like the sense of having a 2 way remote so that i know if anything is happening to it, plus the glass break sensor is really nice, i wonder if the ford key can be programmed to the viper system??? Now that would be sweet
Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED BUBBA View Post
hmmm, i like it because it is all on one key but i wish it had the remote start not that i have it now or anything haha, I will just have to go to best buy to see how the viper ones feel and look and how big they are. I kind of like the sense of having a 2 way remote so that i know if anything is happening to it, plus the glass break sensor is really nice, i wonder if the ford key can be programmed to the viper system??? Now that would be sweet
there is your problem "going to best buy" sure buy what ever you want there but letting them install anything is just nutz. Go to a top notch place pay a few bucks more and never have a problem.
the new alarms that work with your Iphones ect will tell you everything. it will tell ya what door is open if it is a window anything right there no matter where you are as long as you have covrage.
is it worth it to have all thoes cool lil gadgets? thats uo to you. I have nice stereo/nav/dvd/ect and i dont have on. but in my hummer where I spent 10K on stereo I did have Viper.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 PM

thats the thing, that install was a mistake haha, i would take it to a real shop for sure.

I do have a nice stereo, plus the truck alone is worth a lot! I am still deciding if it is worth it, i mean not many people can reach high enough to break my window but it would be nice to not have to worry about it happening in the first place.

a tilt sensor would be cool incase someone had the guts to try to jackit up to steal the wheels and tires! happened to a jeep that someone i know owns!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.