Brighter dome light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brighter dome light

I wanted my dome light to be brighter when the doors opened, so thanks to freedombyforce's idea of wiring the two map lights in with the dome light, I now have all three lights come on when I open the door.

To get around loosing use of my map lights and/or having both map lights, dome light and rear cargo light come on when I flipped the switch for one of the map lights, I found a pretty simple fix using two 12v diodes and did a step by step write up on it for anyone who may be interested.

things you will need:
-soldering iron and solder
-two short pieces of about 18 gauge wire
-2 12v diodes (can be found at your local radio shack or similar electronics part store)
-heat-shrink tubing

First I had to determine which Leads were positive and which we're negative for the bulb holder (as I am still currently running halogens and have not gotten LEDs to replace them yet). You will be able to see from my pics which leads I soldered to and hopefully save you a little bit of time determining the positive ones, just take a look at the pics at bottom of post before getting started.

Next, I removed the clear cover to my dome light assembly and removed assembly from headliner (two clips hold it in that you will need to stick a screw driver or something flat in to release them) from there it should slide towards back of truck and then come out.

Once free from the headliner, push the small white tab and unclip the wire harness. Mine was a little snug, but you can also push the harness out from the other side of the dome light assembly while still holding in the little tab, made it a little easier for me.

Here is a pic of the top of the dome light assembly (what you will be working with) :
Brighter dome light-top-dl-assy.jpg

once you have the dome light assembly apart you will need to solder two wires to the positive lead of the middle dome light.

then, at each end of those wires solder the anode end of each of the diodes. (cathode end is usually marked in some way, by a black stripe or something similar, anode end is usually left plain).

don't forget to slip the heat shrink wrap tube over each of the wires at this point because you will not be able to put it on once you are finished soldering.

finally, solder each of the cathode ends of the diodes to each of the positive leads on the map lights and use a hair dryer on its hottest setting, or a heat gun to shrink-wrap the diodes and all exposed solder and wiring.

heres some pics of my finished dome light assembly and one of the diodes i used:
Brighter dome light-diode.jpg
Brighter dome light-fnl-dl-assy1.jpg
Brighter dome light-fnl-dl-assy2.jpg
Brighter dome light-fnl-dl-assy3.jpg

also, if you can see i shaved a small notch in the plastic surrounding each map light to be sure that the wire would fit when i put it back together. probably not completely necessary, as there is some room above it but i just wanted to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bright, dome, interior, lighting, map light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.