LEDs in the floorboards - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LEDs in the floorboards

So I have noticed a few threads about installing LEDs to shine in the floorboards. I ended up getting a roll of LEDs to make custom cut lengths to fit under the dash and seats.

I started out by deciding how I wanted to run the LEDs. Did I want them on a switch? Did I want them to come on with the headlights? Both? Well I decided on just a switched on. I wanted control over them just in case I ever got pulled over maybe. So I settled on using the cigarette lighter inside my console as the power source. I also got lucky and right below the cig lighter inside is a perfect flat spot made for a switch.

So I began by pulling out the front seats and console for easier access to running wiring. Surprisingly this was easier then I thought it would be. When running wiring to the front, I used a coat hanger and taped the wiring to it. Then I gently snaked it to the front being careful not to snag anything on the way.
[IMG][/IMG]

The console power is constant 12v so I can run the lights whenever I want. When removing the console you will notice a harness that needs to be unplugged to fully remove after unbolting. Here is a picture showing the juice I was getting while testing the harness for the right wiring to tap into.
[IMG][/IMG]

Ok, so after determining the ground and the power wire, I moved on to the console. Here I punched a hole in the space right below the cig lighter to mount the switch. I mounted the switch then tapped into the hot and ground wiring and plugged the spade connectors into the switch ports.

Underside of console looking up at switch backside and cig lighter above it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Inside console at installed switch.
[IMG][/IMG]

So I forgot to take some pictures of the process but after mounting the switch. I double checked my wiring to make sure everything was right. I put the console back into the truck and plugged the console harness back in. I did this to verify I was getting juice at each point where an LED strip would be. I wired in everything right and I had power!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Next was unplugging the harness and install all of my LEDs. The only place that was somewhat hard on finding a spot to mount the LED was the driver front floor board. When looking up under the dash, you will find there arent very many good mounting places for a 6 inch long sticky strip. I found a flat spot right on the bottom inside edge, right above the OBD port and slightly blocked by a wiring loom. The wiring loom was easily moved up to prevent blocking of light. You can see the brake shaft that hold the pedal and arm in the pic.
[IMG][/IMG]

I moved onto the passenger side front floor board. I pulled down the hard carpet sound barrier and cut out a little bit of it to provide me with a better mounting surface to the bottom of the glove box.
[IMG][/IMG]

After the front was done, I moved to the back seat area lighting. On the bottom of the front seats on the back side is a metal 1/2" bar, this was a perfect mounting surface. The LED strips come with a 3M sticky double side tape on them. I instead used a very small zip tie and zipped them on here. I chose this way because the seat would be moved to the front and back and this would save the actual strip from trying to pull off, even with the spare wiring to help with this. So I also deciding to run a short 2 inch strip under the console cupholder to provide a small shot of light in the middle. Once wired up, I double checked to make sure everything worked and was wired right. I then hit the switch for the first time......

This picture was taken at 3 PM, so it was a little bright outside.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Also, here are a couple pictures of the LEDs that I made a custom length for the front and rear. These LEDs work great for all sorts of applications. Such as using them in your sub box, floor board lighting, tying into the door and shining on steps when door is opened(soon to come). I liked how it turned out and they are not overly bright. The light doesnt penetrate above the bottom seat level.

8 inch strip I made
[IMG][/IMG]

To test strips, I used a 9v battery.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a night shot of a 6 inch strip showing the brightness.
[IMG][/IMG]

If you have any questions, or are interested, PM and we can talk some more about the LEDs I have and maybe some good applications for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Where did you get the strips from? Those are BRIGHT. I need some in red
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_PSD_Erik View Post
Where did you get the strips from? Those are BRIGHT. I need some in red
I purchased a 5 meter roll of the blue ColOr and cut my own lengths. I then soldered my wiring on and covered with shrink tubing. I still have blue and white left for more projects
Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 AM

You can buy 5 meter rolls on ebay for around $20 a roll. Instead of buying a single solid color, you can actually buy RGB (Red Green Blue) led strips that can do any color you want if you have them running to an LED controller, or you can do any of the three colors without going to a controller by soldering the wire to the color you want. The fluctuation of color is controlled by the 12 volt line. There is also an option of getting weatherproof or non weatherproof led strips as well.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 AM

Thanks guys!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

looks nice man! i like it!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 PM

i like it! i have one question tho, i wonder if there is a switch that could be bought that can be turned down to turn down the brightness of the lights without a true controller?

like a dial switch that you can turn it to lower the brightness...would be a cool idea!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM

I havent looked into any types of dimmer switches so I am not really sure to be honest. If it is too bright, one permanent way to decrease the brightness would be to cut off some of the LEDs. I have six (6) inch strips used, they can be cut down in 2 inch increments. And the pictures I posted dont really do them much justice. I need to take some night time pictures, and when in the truck driving at night with them on, they really arent that bright. I do get a little reflection of the windows though but it isnt too bad.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM

ya, i was just wondering thats all...im sure there is a way to do it, i mean it is just finding the right switch thats all.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 PM

i did find this thing...i might look into it for a test run. was kinda looking for something i could mount but it seems like they are all too big anyways. i might look into an rgb one tho because i like to change the colors up a bit every now and then, ill make a thread if i do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.