Backup Camera questions for the DNX 6180 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Backup Camera questions for the DNX 6180

First, I am wanting to get a camera. From what I am reading I can go with any camera. I was thinking of the cmos 200 but the audiovox is half price. I am concerned with moisture/water intrusion due to my experience with a cheap vr3. My wifes honda has not had any problems in 5 yrs and I believe hers is an alpine branded honda.

Any other camera suggestions?

Where is everyone connecting the backup camera to be triggered while in reverse?? Is there someone in the cab to connect to rather than the reverse lights in the back??

What about wiring it so that the camera will come on whenever I want it to and reverse??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 AM

I ordered a backup camera off amazon for $22. It actually works very well and you can't really beat the price. I have the kenwood dnx6180 also and although it is a little slow it works great and has all the features I was looking for. Really great headunit for these trucks! As far as wiring goes I ran the reverse sensor wire from the headunit as well as 12v power for camera to the wire going to the reverse lights at the tail lights of the truck (wire is green with brown stripes) so that they come on when I shift truck into reverse (really great feature). I know the wire runs in the dash somewhere but spent hours trying to find it and eventually just gave up, would still really love to find it though so I don't have to have the wire running through the firewall from headunit. Once I do find it though I am planning on putting a switch on as well by running he 12v camera wire up into the dash and connecting to the reverse sensor wire on headunit and will wire both into a switch that will have one position that will allow constant 12v power and the other position that is tapped into the green/brown reverse sensor wire on truck. I don't really know why I would use it when not in reverse as I don't tow trailers to often but would be kinda cool to watch the smoking out process of some a$$hole riding your a$$
Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Btw, you probably already know this but in order to make the headunit switch to backup camera view you need the reverse sw on the wire harness of headunit (purple with white stripes if I remember correctly) to receive 12v power. Which is the wire I ran through the firewall to the reverse sensor wire at the tail lights of truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.