Alternator problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alternator problems

I had my factory alternator burn up and i talked to local ford dealer and they couldn't locate me a new one to put on... so after a few choice words and a lot of aggravation i went and bought an aftermarket one. Needless to say now that i bought an aftermarket one and installed it my battery light is on constantly and i can not shut off with computer reader. Any one else have this problem, I talked to my ford dealer here and they said it has to be a ford alternator because they sync together and even sometimes even if you buy a ford alternator and put it in they claim it could have the battery light on all the time as well. I do not know if I believe them or if its true. Anyone else have this happen or have a solution? Besides pay $500 for a ford one.... i payed 180 and truck has been running great just annoying to have light on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have dual alternators? What caused your alternator to burn out in the first place? How are your batteries? Is there an error code associated with the light?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I do not have dual alternators i had the 200 amp one. No codes show up with the light. I ley my truck idle outside and when i went to get in i smellef something burning. The lights were all really dim. No reason just burned up. Earlier i had my wire harness melt as well. So something is fishy. I really wanna get out of this truck but wanna figure this light out first. Batteries test great. I am just super stumped. Thanks for help!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same problem mine burnt up also, replaced with a ford altenator and the battery light is on all the time.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My buddy has this same exact problem. 2008. 6.4L, single alternator system. New aftermarket alternator, new batteries, charging at 14, but battery light is constantly on. Is there anyone that knows how to resolve this issue?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Bringing this back from the dead.... I'm having same issue. Started truck, smelled something, battery light on. Alternator EXTREMELY hot. Haven;t changed the alt yet, but will be doing it soon.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well just buy the 200 amp alternator if thats what your truck had from ford because all the research i did is that you can not put aftermarket on due to the computer not recognizing it. The light will stay on. I bought an aftermarket one and put it on, traded the burnt one in as core then had to turn around and trade my new one in as core for the ford one. I know they are stupid expensive but buy the ford one. Or get used to the light in. Ha
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM

honestly the truck won't know it's not a 200 amp alternator until the truck needs 200 amps( not likely) and it's not available from the alternator

Aftermarket rebuild ALT's and these trucks have always been Hit or miss .

use a good name like DC Power all new or Ford's reman's
Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Whatever you think. I am just speaking from experience. I did everything not to buy another the light will not go off. Not all the trucks are 200 amp either thays just what mine was. Just my opinion also speaking from experience
Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 AM

Took my 200 amp alternator off, took it into a parts store, they put it on their machine and when the machine started spinning the alt, it bogged down and tripper the breaker on the belt drive and the power output. Seems my alt was locking up and over charging like crazy. Had to order one, hopefuly have it this morning sometime. Hopefully it will not keep the light on. If it does, I will get a Ford one in the coming weeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.