Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New Head Unit

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  strokinpower 
#1 ·
i am looking for local deals on a used nav head unit for my 6.4. i have no skill with this kind of stuff but thoughti could save a buck by finding a used unit.

so heres my question. Lets say i find a used pioneer AVIC. Is there anything else i need to purchase to be able to have it installed? Harness? etc?

#2 ·
#3 ·
thats a sweet *** unit i used to have one....every additional option u would like besides the base like he said ipod/xm satilite radio u will need an additional piece comes with the nav disk and antenna so if u just want to play dvd's/listen to radio and find ur way to the gas station u will be good also look around online for the unit u want when i bought mine best buy wanted like 1000.00 or something like that and i found it online for less than 600 i dont remember what place i got it from because it was so long ago but just fyi u can find i much much cheeper online and that price i paid was not for a referbished one either it was brand spanking new.....gl........

#4 ·
Yep, and if you can find a Z1 or a Z2, you can easily upgrade it (software wise) to a Z3 very easily. I've done that with my Z2. :)

#9 ·
Well, I do have mine wired to match my head unit. But I'm not sure which wire it is. I had it installed by an installer and they found the wire(s) to connect so it would auto dim with the dash lights.

#10 ·
Spend a few dollars and buy a wiring harness. The wires are labeled for each function (yes, including the dimmer) and then it will just plug into the factory plug. I installed a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD and several accessories... really simple. Even if you buy used you can get the Pioneer installation guides and manuals from the Pioneer website.

#11 ·
I am finally getting around to doing things to my truck while I am motivated. Recently I did the tune, dpf/cat, cai, and egr delete.

I have had a pioneer head unit since I bought my truck back June of 2007.. I did buy the adapter plug, steering wheel control back then but the wires did not match up. The truck was still too new I guess. I will research some more and test wires to get it to work.

I figured someone might know which colored wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.