Wiring my GPS - Looking for Driver's side power. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wiring my GPS - Looking for Driver's side power.

Hi All,

Instead of plugging in my GPS to the 12V socket, I've decided to hard wire it into the panel on the driver's side access panel (when you open the door and take the vent panel off). Behind that there is the light switch and the dimmer switch. I wanted to run it off of the dimmer switch wiring but not through the dimmer switch itself. I just want to have constant power.

I've taken a photo of the wires but I'm not sure which wire is which. Does anyone know?

BLUE/WHITE (2)
YELLOW/WHITE
BLUE/GREEN

Please comment if you have an opinion.

Tks in advance,
D
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring my GPS - Looking for Driver's side power.-img_6984.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do you have upfitter switches? They are great for powering GPS, radar detector, etc and are fused.

Personally never taken that cover off
Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 AM

No upfitters - that probably would have been my first choice. I can probably run the wire from the drivers access panel deeper into the dash to find something that's permanently hot but I wanted a bit of guidance before I dug in.

D
Old 01-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Here's what I did and it was extremely easy...

I bought a 12v outlet from Walmart and wired it into the 12vAcc and ground for the stereo. I put the outlet behind the stereo in the area above the metal shelf. I dropped the GPS power cord into that area behind the stereo from the top of the dash and plugged it in. Trust me on this, you want to use the full power cord, not with the plug cut off and wired directly. Takes me about 5 min to access the plug if I need to remove it for some reason. And the GPS turns on and off with the truck.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Here's what I did and it was extremely easy...

I bought a 12v outlet from Walmart and wired it into the 12vAcc and ground for the stereo. I put the outlet behind the stereo in the area above the metal shelf. I dropped the GPS power cord into that area behind the stereo from the top of the dash and plugged it in. Trust me on this, you want to use the full power cord, not with the plug cut off and wired directly. Takes me about 5 min to access the plug if I need to remove it for some reason. And the GPS turns on and off with the truck.
I did something similar. I tapped into the back side of the cig lighter, with an additional outlet. Ran the wires below the dash up the driver side and plugged into the gps...turns on/off with truck.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08F3fizzy View Post
I did something similar. I tapped into the back side of the cig lighter, with an additional outlet. Ran the wires below the dash up the driver side and plugged into the gps...turns on/off with truck.
Both of my power outlets have 12v all the time... Not an option for me...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 AM

Flashlight

Yesterday I did the flashlight mod (see pic!). It was simple and AWESOME!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jcray/04...250MagLite.pdf

Today I may do the wiring. I like the idea of behind the cig. lighter. I want there to always be power. I am currently running the GPS off the accessory plug and their is always power there. I like that when the truck is off, I still get power to the GPS. Often I enter waypoints and figure things out with the truck off.

The downside is that if you forget to turn the GPS off, it runs all night. I've done this a few times but the GPS draw is so low, the two truck batteries don't even notice it and starts right up. I wouldn't want to leave it for multiple days, but I'm getting more careful.

I'll report what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring my GPS - Looking for Driver's side power.-img_6991.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.