Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wiring my GPS - Looking for Driver's side power.

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  scotiadallas 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Instead of plugging in my GPS to the 12V socket, I've decided to hard wire it into the panel on the driver's side access panel (when you open the door and take the vent panel off). Behind that there is the light switch and the dimmer switch. I wanted to run it off of the dimmer switch wiring but not through the dimmer switch itself. I just want to have constant power.

I've taken a photo of the wires but I'm not sure which wire is which. Does anyone know?

BLUE/WHITE (2)
YELLOW/WHITE
BLUE/GREEN

Please comment if you have an opinion.

Tks in advance,
D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have upfitter switches? They are great for powering GPS, radar detector, etc and are fused.

Personally never taken that cover off

#4 ·
Here's what I did and it was extremely easy...

I bought a 12v outlet from Walmart and wired it into the 12vAcc and ground for the stereo. I put the outlet behind the stereo in the area above the metal shelf. I dropped the GPS power cord into that area behind the stereo from the top of the dash and plugged it in. Trust me on this, you want to use the full power cord, not with the plug cut off and wired directly. Takes me about 5 min to access the plug if I need to remove it for some reason. And the GPS turns on and off with the truck.

#7 ·
Flashlight

Yesterday I did the flashlight mod (see pic!). It was simple and AWESOME!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jcray/04F250/pdfs/F250MagLite.pdf

Today I may do the wiring. I like the idea of behind the cig. lighter. I want there to always be power. I am currently running the GPS off the accessory plug and their is always power there. I like that when the truck is off, I still get power to the GPS. Often I enter waypoints and figure things out with the truck off.

The downside is that if you forget to turn the GPS off, it runs all night. I've done this a few times but the GPS draw is so low, the two truck batteries don't even notice it and starts right up. I wouldn't want to leave it for multiple days, but I'm getting more careful.

I'll report what happened.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.