Does the reverse lighting wire run along the door to tap into for rearview camera? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does the reverse lighting wire run along the door to tap into for rearview camera?

I had the truck torn apart the other day and saw a bundle of wires running along the driver door. I already have a DVD player in the dash that I can use as a monitor and will be buying a back up camera off Ebay to mount on my license plate in the back, already have the wires to wire it all up but want to make it auto turn on when I put it in reverse. There is a little clip that splices into the reverse light wiring and was hoping I could just do it in the cab and make it easy. Any one know if that reverse light wire runs along that driver door bundle, and if so what color it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Does the reverse lighting wire run along the door to tap into for rearview camera?-imag0424.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM

I know the color of the wire is green with two brown stripes, however I've checked every wire running under the door sills and it is definitely not there however I know it does run somewhere in the dash under the steering wheel but I looked for hours and there are so many wires up under there it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I eventually gave up and ran it back through the firewall to the tail lights still wish I could find it up under the dash though. If you have any luck finding it lemme know! Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I found it easier just to run a wire from the tail light, along the frame, through a plug under the driver's side carpet into the dash. For my rear light bar, I tapped into the the reverse wire in the trailer connection.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 PM

I'm probably just gonna pay a stereo shop to install the backup camera to the reverse for me. Its like forty bucks. Its a hassle for sure.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Nope its easy. Plus, I don't like having someone else do the simple stuff because they invariably mess it up...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 PM

I hear ya there, I like doing the stuff I can handle myself, saves money and at least you know it's done right
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM

Can you enlighten me how to do it then please?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM

If your HU is not rear view camera ready you've got another whole issue to deal with.

I will assume your unit is not. This is what I think needs to be done. You will have to connect the rca from camera to dvd input rca. you will then have to run a positive wire to trigger the camera to turn on and also install a switch to manually do that or run a wire for the positive for the camera to the reverse light wire positive.

When you want to use the camera you will have to tell the HU to switch to that input to show rear view. When you put in reverse gear the truck will send a positive voltage to turn on the camera.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 PM

I ran the reverse sensor wire from the headunit through the firewall and along frame to the 12v power wire for the camera and spliced them both to a 12v diode (anode connected to reverse light wire on truck, and cathode connected to wire for 12v camera power and headunit reverse sensor wire.) then i simply grounded the ground wire coming from camera to frame of truck. the diode is not necessary if you only want the camera to operate while shifted into reverse and you could just splice the wires together without the diode and your camera should be functioning properly while shifted to reverse gear, however i also have mine on a switch so you can turn it on in any gear by using the upfitter swithes. And with the diode present your reverse lights will not subsequently come on when you flip the switch. You just take the hot wire from one of your upfitter switches and then splice into the wire that you ran through the firewall.

Lemme know if that makes sense to you, hope it helps!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 PM

My camera gets powered from the same 12v signal as my stereo. My reverse sense goes from my tail light to the stereo. So that way when I'm in reverse, the camera is displayed and I can switch my display to the camera any other time.

I have a Pioneer AVH-P410DVD head unit and an Audiovox ACA200W camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.