Tail Lights/Back-Up Lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4 Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tail Lights/Back-Up Lights

Gentleman,

This past weekend I decided to upgrade the firmware on my SCT and retune the truck, in addition to this I changed the serpentine belt and removed both batteries to recondition them before the winter. After getting everything back together the truck runs so far so good except my rear tail lights and back up lights do not work. I have brake/turn signals but no tail lights/back up lights; can anybody tell me exactly what fuse may be out location/number? I looked at the manual but couldn't find any designation stating "tail lights", could something else be wrong here other than a fuse?

Thanks for the help

Regards,
Tar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Dont Mess With Texas!

if im not mistaken the blinkers, and brake lights should all be controlled by the same fuse so i doubt it is a fuse.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Brake lights/blinkers are same thing. The bulb has two filaments. One fine one for low lumen output (running lights/clearance lights) and a big, coarse filament for high lumens (blinkers/turn signals/brake lights.)
The way you're saying it is you "have brake/turn signals (correct, same thing) but no tail lights/back up lights (tail lights as in clearance lights?)"
Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to upd103 Send a message via Skype™ to upd103
OK. So my wife is having this same problem. I've gone through all 45 pages of this section and found no answer. Therefore, this thread gets moved from page 9 to page 1. LOL

She towed our horse trailer for about 3 hours yesterday. This is a trailer that we have towed in the past with no changes to either the electrical system of the truck or the trailer since. She dropped the trailer off in Dallas and left it where the horses will be (in case of an emergency,) and then left to head back home.

When she got into a local restaraunt, she noticed that she does not have tail lights. The brake lights and turn signals work just fine however. She does not know if the trailer marker lights were working when she dropped it off.

I work in Afghanistan and can not be there to help her. I have told her where the two fuse boxes are located, and she plans on looking at it first thing this morning.

I am asking any of you if you have any idea what might be going on here. Can you point me to a specific fuse that might be the problem. She is going to stress out very quickly because she is not a "car person."

Thanks
David
Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 AM

OK. I found a schematic. Can someone tell me if I am reading this correctly?

So the parking lamp relay on the first schematic receives power at all time via the hot lead. From there through CLS30 to 92-5. In 92-5 I see where it appears the Trailer tow / parking lamp relay receives power from the initial parking lamp relay and not vice versa.

This should mean that my problem can still be my parking lamp relay if something happened with the trailer lights along the way. What is the likelihood that both relays are out? I will have no way of knowing until she goes to pick up the trailer and the horses in a week. I do not want her getting up there and them not working.

Last edited by upd103; 07-29-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upd103 View Post
OK. I found a schematic. Can someone tell me if I am reading this correctly?

So the parking lamp relay on the first schematic receives power at all time via the hot lead. From there through CLS30 to 92-5. In 92-5 I see where it appears the Trailer tow / parking lamp relay receives power from the initial parking lamp relay and not vice versa.

This should mean that my problem can still be my parking lamp relay if something happened with the trailer lights along the way. What is the likelihood that both relays are out? I will have no way of knowing until she goes to pick up the trailer and the horses in a week. I do not want her getting up there and them not working.
the manual will list every trailer fuse and relay in there. Check all fuses with a resistance check or a test light.
Then if you have to, replace the relays too.
Also check power at the plug first to make sure there's no power and it's not burnt bulbs.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 AM

Check the fuses behind the passenger kick panel. My 08 had brake lights and turn signals but no park lights or backup lights. I found the fuse in the interior fuse block (IIRC it was a 20 amp fuse) I cannot remember the fuse number
Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

here is a diagram that includes the battery junction and smart junction boxes..

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fo..._223111_a1.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bjb3.pdf (391.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I sent her a step by step on replacing fuse number 22 under the passenger dash. I'm about 99% sure that will fix it. If not, then we will go to the relays.

So here's another question.

The wire coming from S121 in 92-5 is the signal wire for activating the Trailer Tow Parking Lamp relay. F42 in the BJB is the actual fuse for the power supply to that relay.

Am I reading that right? I'm just trying to work through in my head what might have caused the fuse to blow. I'm pretty OCD in finding the root cause of things, not just fixing symptoms.

Oh. Thanks for the links Rexter. A few more images to put in my collection.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey upd103,

I found that it was the harness junction before it splits off to go to each tail light, I simply made my own jumper to bypass the harness junction for that specific wire; I believe it was purple with white stripe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.