Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

08 sound system upgrade?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  08SuperDiesel 
#1 ·
i am looking to upgrade the sound system in my 08 crew cab, but i DEFINATELY want to stick with the stock head unit. i found an adapter online somewhere to let me put a sub and amp on the stock headunit. i was looking at infinity kappa speakers. can i just swap these out? or do the speakers need an amp? also looking at a set of 2 low profile 8" that will fit behind my rear seat. what do you guys think? would that work ok with the stock headunit? what has worked for you guys?

#3 ·
I did an upgrade to my stereo in my truck.

What you need is a line-out converter. They are generic and I used this one:
Amazon.com: PAC SNI35 Adj Line Out Converter: Automotive

I put in new speakers. I used JL C2-570s for all four 5x7 speakers and I put in a JL Stealthbox under my driver's side rear seat. I used a JL XD 600/1 amp for the subwoofer and no amp for the door speakers.

I'm very happy with this setup. I wasn't sure if I was gonna need to amp the door speakers, but the sound improvement is excellent and I don't really need anymore. As long as you are not running separate component speakers to replace the stock 5x7s, I say you can try it without a separate amp. If you want to run component speakers (higher end ones) then you will need a separate amp because the stock head unit won't supply enough power.

I also dynamatted all of the doors and the rear of the cab.

Spent about 2k to do it all and had an installer do the work.

This guy makes some nice boxes if that is the route you want to take.

2008superduty

#4 ·
I added a single 10" sub. It was a Rockford shallow 10. The sub and amp both fit behind the seat. I took out the false floor, so I have space under the seats to store more stuff. I have not had a problem with the factory highs (door speakers). The sub alone is quality enough sound for me (and I used to install aftermarket audio and had it all in my last truck). It was definately a pain in the @$$ to build a sub box for that 10 to fit behind the seat though. I had to completely remove the seats and that sucks. Some people end up moving them forward. I did not want to do this. Also, my amp is in the middle of the truck on the back wall, that gives me the other side to keep my bibbs behind the seat. If you have a powered rear window, that motor will most likely be in the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.