Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2008 Headlight Problems HELP!

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  t_mo924 
#1 ·
My problem is when i turn my headlight switch to the on position the lights delay before coming on. its about a 7-10 second delay and then they come on and function properly. If i turn the switch just to the perking light position this setting works properly (the parking lights come on just like they shoud) but again if i go from the parking light position to the headlight position there is a 7-10 sec. delay before the headlights actually turn on. The auto headlights also have the delay if I turn it to the auto position.
Leading up to the problem i was attempting to install recon accessories cab lights and I took the headlight switch out thinking that I could just tap into the parking light wire to control the new cab lights. I later found out that you must tap into the wire coming out of the smart junction box. So now I do have the cab lights mounted and working but I have the headlight delay problem. I did touch a standard chepo test light to all the leads on the headlight switch when I thought I could just tap into one of those wires. Anyone know what my problem could be???? PLEASE someone help.:dunno:

#2 ·
Sounds to me like the pickup coil in the headlight relay is weak. Try changing out the headlight relay. Most time when a relay fails , they fail all at once, but it is possible for the pickup coil to take a liitle longer to engage. Worth a shot. Keep us posted on what it turns out to be.

#3 ·
I can't find a relay for the headlights. I looked at a wiring diagram and it appears that the smart junction box controls the headlights with a unservicable relay which would throw a code if there is a headlight problem. I took it to ford and they said no code came up and they have never seen this problem before and have no idea whats causing it. I'm thinking maybe a bad switch? It looks like a pretty simple switch so I'm thinks maybe the motherboard in the switch has a malfunction

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.