Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

aftermarket head unit wiring

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Duffie112 
#1 ·
So i am getting ready to order a dvd/nav head unit and I am totally fine with ditching the sync system, my question is, would a non sync equiped (xl) wire harness adapter work if I just pull the sync system? I don't want to pay for the kit to use sync as the new HU will do all the same stuff only better.

#3 ·
Do you also have the sub woofer? I used the Metra 70-5521 wire harness, but had to track down a dimmer wire since there was not one connected to the factory harness. I also had to put in a 5v regulator on the amp turn on wire since it is 5v on the factory amp and the after market radio put out 12v.

#4 ·
NathanScott is exactly right on both accounts although I never bother with the regulator. Here is a post I made in another board. The reason for the variation in resistor values is because they'll all work, I just grab whatever's sitting on my bench at the time. You can pick up a dozen 1/4watt resistors for less then a $1. Also I believe the Bestkits harness does have a dimmer wire in the harness but it may be illumination, can't remember

Metra and best kits both make harnesses for them BHA-5800 for best kits unless it's a factory sub equipped truck then you need a BHA-5800R. Not sure of the Metra P/N though. If you need the factory amp powered up(only trucks with sub) then throw a 4.7K-10k resistor on the remote turn on lead(blue/white) as i believe ford uses a 5V turn on signal so it will cause a "pop" without it. Also if you have a factory sub truck then avoid any deck with a zero-bit mute cirtut like sony. They will cause the same 'pop' sound when you skip tracks as the head unit mutes but the amp doesn't. Most people don't have the factory amp anyways though so shouldn't be a huge problem.

#5 ·
thanks guys, I got the metra harness and ordered a pioneer p3200dvd, it sould be here tomorrow.
I already installed some kicker 6x8s all the way around and built a box for behind the seat with 2 fosgate 10s and a crunch 1000watt amp... can't wait for the final peice!

#6 ·
Bringing up an old thread...i have the metra 70-5521 for the factory sub...for the sub connector is has 2 remote blue wires and also the main radio harness has a remote wire. Do i need to put a resistor on each 3 wires or just put 1 resistor on the 2 wires for the sub harness? Thanks

#8 ·
Thanks, Yea i only ended using the one remote wire on the sub harness. The others didnt go to anything on the vehicle harness so i repinned them to hook up the axxess aswc and didnt have to hack the truck harness! Worked out Great.

#9 ·
hey guys i just got the pioneer avic-x930bt and it wants me to hook onto the truck speed sensor wire i was told its a purple with orange tracer? is this true, if so were is it? and were is the easiest place to find a reverse light wire for the head unit also? what color is it? thanks guys, Cory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.