Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

{DIY} Viper 5902

4K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Clayton1985 
#1 ·
Ok. I got my remote start/alarm yesterday, called around and found one place who would install but holy sheep $h!t, I cant justify $5/600.

Im looking for wiring diagrams,schematic etc etc Anything that can gimme an idea where to look for wires I need!

Show me what ya got, thanks!:woot:

#2 ·
i got the viper 5902 and i only payed 315 dollars from amazon but trust me save yourself the heartache just pay it, mine cost all together with the right modules and the additional modules like tilt sensor so you dont get towed, and break glass sensor it was around 500 bucks but everything works and the people that did are worth every penny.

#3 ·
Yup I paid about $305 for the alarm itself, but I cant fork over another 600 for install! But it has alot to do with my location, plus im in Canada so naturally we get ripped off on most things...

#5 ·
Ahh yes!
Thank you, some good help on that site.

#6 ·
600 bucks for an rs/keyless/alarm? That's bs, that's what it would run you at my shop, including the 5902 and your bypass module. Good luck if you are set on trying it yourself, the newer fords can be a PITA with the door triggers and the wait to start. You can't actually use the wait to start wire, you will need a wts pulse timer. If you really are set on doing it yourself I can help you out a bit. But if you haven't put on in a vehicle before it would be better to pay a shop to do it.

#8 ·
Ya, $600 just to install it. I already have the 5902 itself sitting here in the box. I am mechanically inclined (I have my 2nd yr auto apprentice) Im just researching all the info I can and yes any and all help/info will be appreciated!
Im confident I can do it, I just have to wait til work slows down so I can make sure I have lots of time to get it done right.

#9 ·
There is no wait to start light in this truck, but the 5902 has a built in delay (adjustable) timer so that should be fine?

#10 ·
Yes the wait to start timer will be fine. As for door pins, they go from ground to an open circuit when the door opens. Just use the positive door pin wire(I believe it's purple) and it will read fine. Worst case you'll need to change the programming option for door pin type to normally closed(NC). I don't believe you need the bitwriter to do it but if so any decently nice shop should be willing do change it for you for free or very little. Last thing you may want to do is send a pulse to shut down RAP on starter shutdown. Only a problem if you start your truck but then decide not to leave, it'll leave the radio on for 10ish minutes. If you do let me know and i'll explain how to do it. I'm an 11 year MECP certified tech so believe me when I say they really aren't complicated as long as you have basic knowledge and are willing to ask questions.

#11 ·
The time you are going to spend posting here and waiting for replies, looking up info online, and asking others for help, technically you will have wasted enough of your own time (whatever you feel you are worth hourly) and more than a few days when you could have just paid to have it installed in a few hours and been done with it..

Good luck..

#12 ·
10-4.
Should I solder everything or T-splice or? Im thinking solder and tape for cleanliness and solid connection but ive read both...

#13 ·
True, but the satisfaction of doing yourself is greater than all that. I enjoy working on my vehicles and I cant help but think..why am I gonna pay a stranger who doesnt know me or give a $hit about my truck rip it apart etc etc when I can do it myself with a little effort and know the job is done right. That is my opinion of course.

#14 ·
Solder and tape! This is amazing, countless people on here willing to try almost anything themselves but a little electrical comes up and no one recommends learning how to do it yourself? Not bashing anybody, it's just funny for me because I would be a lot more willing to put a starter in then head studs with no experience lol. I say good on ya for being willing to learn

#15 · (Edited)
Got my 5902 from Amazon (cheapest) and had it installed for $150 in my 2001 F250. Got the guy to hook up the "wait to start" light too. I didn't needs any PATS bypass or anything though. I believe those are under $100 for sure. I just shopped around and found a small local place that was the least expensive. I was going to do it myself but $150 was an ok price for me.

#16 ·
Yeah, $150 is not bad at all, If I could get it done for that I would just because findind time to do it myself this time of year is hard.

Now Ive got a Pats bypass module, not sure if its the right one or not (still not here yet, hopefully shows up soon) I dont see a chip in/on my key like there is on my Corvette key, so I dunno. Figure it out when the time comes i guess.

#17 ·
Older corvettes (ones you can actually see the chip on) use a system called VATS which requires actuall contact with the resistor on the key. Problem with those is that there are only a dozen or so posibilities and they're easy to fool. Our trucks use a PATS system which uses a RF antenna to wirelessly read a signal from a RFID chip that's inside the plastic coating on the key. Harder to fake and more reliable as there are no contacts to wear and fudge up the signal. Just make sure you have 2 programmed keys when you go to program the module and you'll be fine. What module did you end up going with?

#18 ·
Thats right! I forgot what the Vette's system was called, I havent messed around with it for a while (its a 99). Then I figured, as you mentioned it would be in the plastic piece on the ford key. Ive only got the one key for truck so I suppose its to the dealer for a couple extra's?

I got the "DEI 556U 556UW Remote Start Interface Module" Not sure if itll work or not.

#19 · (Edited)
Most modules will require 2 keys to program so I suspect that you will need at least one more. Idatalink makes a module called the ads al-ca that supports a feature called klon that allows you to program using 1 key but you will need a dealer login to flash it that way unless you can convince a shop to program it for you then you can just program it to the truck

Edit: Forgot to mention, make sure the dealer programs the key. Locksmiths will typically just copy the key you have because they don't have the tech tool to actually create another, new valid key. The truck needs to see 2 different RFID's to enter programming and allow you to program the module. It will basically learn as a 3rd key. Lastly, I believe the truck will only accept 4 keys so it will be 3 plus the starter's bypass just FYI incase you were considering getting a few extra keys.

#20 ·
Thanks Beene!
This whole key thing sounds confusing...

#21 ·
556U is about the easiest module there is because no programming is involved. You just put one of your programmed keys in the box and mount it under the dash then run the included antenna ring around your tumbler and you're set. Red to 12V, black to ground, blue to the status out from the viper system and then run the wire to keysense (I think it's green for negative keysense) No other wires are used on it. LMK if you have trouble with it

#22 ·
Ok nice, so that one should be fine then. Im still waiting for it to be delivered (been like two weeks) probably held up at customs I figure. So Im kinda stuck waiting for that.

The shops around here when I went in to ask about install price showed me a couple units but they want $100 a pop...crooks!

#23 ·
Little update:
I never got around to installing it myself. Work, having a baby and personal life kind of got in the way. Im now coming up on my 3rd winter with running outside to start up and im sick of it!!! :D

I grabbed the box outta the closet and im going to take it to a place a couple hrs away that does them (The installer works nights and supposedly has lots of time with these and is an engineer of sorts).
Im looking at about 500$ but thats with a bypass I already have and will be supplying. Hope to get done soon!

#24 ·
I have tried to install remote start alarms in different vehicles I have owned and have never been able to do it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined as well. Always do my own stereo installs and DIY's too.

It will be worth every penny on those cold winter mornings....

#25 ·
Agree'd! :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.