Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Will I have water damage?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  kaptain howdie 
#1 ·
Hi,
Just sank my 2008 F250 (King Ranch) the other day. It was a stupid stupid accident, but apparently it's easier for an insurance company to write-off a vehicle than fix it... So I'm in a bad situation now...

The truck slid off the road, down a bank, and into a beaver pond. I've already heard lots of jokes that it's because I'm a woman driver, so it's ok if you laugh! The motor was pretty much completely underwater. It went in on an angle, the drivers side was in up to the mirror, and the passanger side went in up to the top of the front tire.

Before it went in I turned it off, but all of the electronics were going crazy, the doors were locking, the mirrors were moving, the lights were flickering.

When it was towed out I checked the oil, and there wasn't any sign of water. I also checked the air filter and it wasn't wet at all...

Last i herd from the insurance compny, it looks like a write-off. Problem is, I wont get enough back from insurance to replace it.

So I've been weighing the pro' and con's and I'm 99% sure I just want to fight to have it fixed.

I need some male input here! What should I do?? To me it seems easy. the truck's worth $40,000 and a I went and priced a brand new one today and it's $85,000 (CDN) I'd rather fix my '08 that have a $85,000 truck debt!!!

What do you guys think??? I need a man's opinion!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Its pretty much up to the insurance company. Generally speakings an insurance company will only pay in repairs 80% of a vehicles total worth ( so for a 10,000 dollar car the max they will pay to repair it is $8,000) . Each company sets their own threshold/ percentage they'll pay. To them its just business and its all about money. Fighting with the insurance company doesn't really do much unless you can change the numbers somehow (make the repair cost less than their percentage threshold ).

#8 ·
Fighting with the insurance company doesn't really do much unless you can change the numbers somehow (make the repair cost less than their percentage threshold ).
dude, what kind of message are you trying to send here? anyone that has ever been in an accident knows that you never accept the first offer from an insurance company. your not talking about a couple of grand here, 40-50 large means that i might spend 100 bucks for the hour to talk to a lawyer.

:crazy:

#3 ·
Get any pics while she was in there?

#4 ·
sorry to hear about your misfortune. unfortunately around these parts the insurance co have lowered thier percentage for total to 75% of value. i dont know how many electrical gremlins this could cause.... i do know that there is a fuse panel under the hood back by the firewall on the driverside and it sounds like this may be wet. is it possible to visit the truck and try some electrics while in the shop? sometimes our equipment gets swamped- we take fuses out and spray connectors with aresol dryers and let them sit awhile before restarting and we always luck out........ good luck and keep us informed. and by the way i feel your pain 6 years ago i hit a deer then rolled my truck thru a fence and into a pig pen letting pigs out everywhere and i still hear about it........

#5 ·
i know this is different but my uncles f150 got hit by lightning and his insurance comapny covered it (the truck was an 08 and this happened in 09) they completely rewired the truck and redid every electronic component, i would think its about the same for water damage

#7 ·
These trucks are 100% electronic now, so I wouldn't mess with it at all.

Take the 40k and go buy yourself another 6.4 and save yourself the headache of messing with inevitable issues with this one down the road. You can get a lot of 08 on up to 10s for cheap now cause all the people with more money than they know what to do with are trading em in for 6.7s:thumb: Most of em are pampered low mileage to the office everyday too, so you might make out pretty well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.