Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Factory Navi??? Will this work?

11K views 78 replies 20 participants last post by  strokinpower 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Just looks like an over priced after market radio to be honest. Yeh it looks cool but does it work good?

Get a pioneer AVIC they look stock and can work with the steering wheel controls.

I put one in my wifes explorer and it looks almost stock.

Got mine for 220 but that was a 4 inch screen.

#8 ·
well it says superduty 08 and thats the only year he has mentioned... I was going to email him and ask if it would work. but i dont think you can put a back up camera on it..

#11 ·
i exchanged emails with the guy and it only works with the stock non-navigation radio optioned truck. It also isnt compatible with the factory sirius radio module.

heres what he said:

Hello Dear Sir/Madam,
This stereo is designed for trucks without factory nav. So if you install it onto your truck, you'll see the harness doesn't match yours and you have to cut and splice wires. It is not sirius radio ready neither.
AS for factory roof mounted dvd, it is possible if the video/audio inputs are RCA connectors as the video/audio outputs are RCA connectors on my stereo. If not, you need to convert it as well.
thanks and best regards

- trustigo

#13 ·
The features I like about this unit is you can watch DVD while in motion(unlocked or bypass), it is really close to a plug and play unit(no programming involved), it works with my steering wheel controls, and I can add a tv tuner to it to watch tv(not sure I`d pick anything up where I live though). This is what I have been told thru email and cannot confirm they do work like I mentioned so don`t go by my word(or theirs) as I have not tested it.

#14 ·
Yes and according to the guy he says there is a way to hook up you sat radio to it by plugging it into the back, whether thats true or not i dunno. i have bought one of these and am waiting for it to get here. if it isnt what he described on the page and to me personally i will be returning it very promptly,. he says it is better then stock and works great with free nav upgrades and the whole works. i am a little concerned but at the same time hoping that it works as well as he says it does. i read some of the feedback and everyone who has recieved on from him loves them..... So i will let you guys know. hope i didnt just waste $600 haha

#16 ·
Ok will do because i have the rear entertainment system also and it is an alpine but i am having trouble with it producing sound in my truck now. I am not sure if the previous owner only had headphones for it and no fm module or what. But i plan to hook it up to the new HU.

#19 ·
subscribed and waiting. im friggin excited

#20 · (Edited)
Ok i have some news to report back to anyone interested.

Got home last night and tore into this project, took the front cover piece off to get to the actual stereo, started at about 4:30 PM, took everything apart, simple..... but let me ask some of you on the side of the wood grain looking cover piece where my 4 wheel drive and parking sensor plug in on the back there was an extra plug back there not plugged into anything and after i got done i couldn't figure out whether i unplugged it to begin with or if it was just there because i couldn't find anywhere to re-plug it back into. Any thoughts. i will try to get a pic.

Anyway back to the story... after i took the stock stereo out fo the deck and unplugged all plugs, i tried to figure out where to run the new wires from the new deck, meaning the GPS antenna and the bluetooth mic. you have the option to run them wherever you want and i basically haven't decided where to go yet. after i got everything plugged back into the new deck, there are tons of extra wires and plugs to add a ton of stuff to it if you wanted.
My rear entertainment system was already wired to the original harness for the stock deck so i figured it would work still because all i had to do was plug my original harness to the new harness that cam with the deck and plug it into the deck, plug my antenna in, steering wheel controls, and then i prayed to god it worked. Turned the truck on and everything was flawlessly working. DVD works while driving, Nav works with a lady talking to you and tell you where to go, FM works, my rear ent system works, SWC works, CD works, Ipod works. Everything, and the install was basically as simple as it can get, with no wire splicing or anything just plug and play, easiest install i have ever done in my life. I have yet to hard test this system to tell whether the Nav is worth a chit or not but it seems to work fairly well for my drive to work this morning. The only thing i don't like about the Nav so far is it cuts off your music when you push a button to switch screens in the nav section but if you just leave it on the basic nav screen the music will turn back on and i believe you can turn the lady off becasue she tells you when you are exceeding the speed limit, which is a lot.

More to come i have some pics too but not many becuase literally the install took me like 30 min, fully plug and play system which was incredible.

Also, for some reason this HU made a night and day difference with my stock speakers, they sound 100% better with this unit i don't know why but wow i am impressed!

#29 ·
Yep...that looks like the plug for the sub woofer.

I imagine that even though your truck does not have one the dash harness for the radio has the plug simply because for Ford it is cheaper to put the same harness in all trucks than it would be to build a special harness without the plug for trucks without a sub.

Bottom line...I doubt you need it.

Steve

#35 ·
I am pretty certain they do, i think i read one of the questions somewhere to the guy selling them and he had one for the edge.

I can take some more pics with an actual camera to show you guys some more features but it really is worth the moeny for what you get and fits perfectly!

#31 · (Edited)
Great Cdubya, thanks for the pics and info!!! Do you have steering wheel controls for stereo and do they work with this thing?

EDIT: Nevermind, re-read your original post and saw your wrote SWC work! Great news, that was what I really wanted to know before I thought about purchasing this thing. How does the picture look playing DVD's? Can you play Ipod movies/tv shows on it? Thanks! This headunit looks way better than stock IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.