Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DDM HID kit

11K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  HighOn22's 
#1 ·
For those that have installed these where did you mount the ballast. Just ordered some but did not order a wiring harness. I've heard yes/no on the harness so I did not order it and DDM was not sure if I needed it. 2008 F250 with H13 Headlights and H10 fogs.

#8 ·
That's why alot of people order the hi/lo beam set up. It comes with the harness. I really like my 55 watt hi/low set up. Mounted my ballast with the double sided tape on the back of the radiator support right above the headlight.

#10 ·
Might want to give DDM a call. Mine are at full brightness within 30 seconds or so. 3 to 4 minutes sounds a bit long.

#12 ·
Quick Pic with mine on....

#13 ·
I have the hi/lo for the heads and ordered the oher harness. I was wondering why I was having to run two wires to the battery and two ground wires. I'm assuming I can remove the extra one I bought since the hi/lo already has one?

I mounted mine to the firewall in back of the headlight. Kind of like pictured above but to the bar running vertical.

#15 ·
No. It is motorized to move the bulb up and down for the hi/low beams. Although I have seen a true dual hid set up in the past. And it was really expen$ive.

#18 ·
Ok I know pretty much nothing about HIDs so take me to school. 35 or 55 watt? HID harness? Error Eliminator? Bulb color?

#19 ·
no need for error eliminator or the harness....

55w for headlights.
35w for fog lights (55w produces to much heat for that small area).

5000k is the most true white bright light, the higher you go from there it becomes slightly more blue and less bright.

DDMtuning.com for all your needs, they are cheap and come with lifetime warranty

#20 ·
In my opinion the harness is needed but its whatever. Any of the vehicles i have done that i didnt use a harness i ended up putting it on later. :dunno:

#21 ·
What are the benefits of the harness?

#24 ·
It uses a relay to pull power from the battery. Basically it strengthens the voltage going to the ballasts.

#22 ·
OK so what I have right now in my cart on ddm is:
H13 55w Hi/Lo 6000k
H10 35w 6000K
2 Wiring Harnesses(or do I need 1, because I thought someone said the hi/lo already had a harness in it?)

#23 ·
To "Harness" or not to "Harness"???

The necessity for the harness is very vague on DDM's site. Here's what I purchased:

Product ID: DDMHPH13HL-5000K
Description: DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast for 35W/55W
Options: Wattage : 55 Watt (+$10.00)
Bulb Type : H13 Hi/Lo (+$20.00)
Bulb Color : 5000K
Total $79.95 (plus shipping)

Now that's for Hi/Low beams for my 2008 Super Duty and... they were very easy to install. It probably took me an hour and a half by myself. I didn't get "fogs" 'cuz I have a Road Armor bumper with 4 - 4" PIAA's on it. I ordered the harness but didn't need it - same thought process. It's been installed without the harness for about 10 months and I haven't had a single issue! Couldn't decide from the documentation whether I needed it or not.

Good choice on DDM!

#25 ·
Ive got the 55w hi/lo 6000k in heads no extra wiring harness and 35w 6000k in fogs and i have had no problems what so ever with them....had em installed for about 5 months now from ddm and i love em

stock headlights

hids installed

#26 ·
Now you guys are making me want these kits but from reading these threads, the hi/low kits are more then just "plug and play"?

#27 ·
Nope all ddm kits are strictly plug and play simple installation...i mean you have to hook up the power cables to the battery but i have installed these on a few trucks...first one took me 30 min and 5 beers to install...all the rest 15 min tops

#28 ·
i have ordered about 6 pairs form there site. great product, very easy to install. personally i wouldnt waste your time getting high/low bulbs, im pretty sure they sell h13 just low beam. the high beam on the high/low kits isnt much different, mine is actually less brighter when on brights rather than low beams. if i had to do it all again i would get just low beams that way they just plug in and zip tie the ballasts down. no tieing into the battery and extra wires and harnesses under the hood. trust me, after seeing with the hid low beams you dont need brights. I just installed a set in my buddies ranger i got him just the low beams, alot cheaper and he said he didnt need low beams anyway, took about 12 minutes from opening hood to closing hood fully operational. if anyone is doubting it because you might not be able to hook it up or its too hard, dont sweat it, the plugs cant get mixed up and the low beam kits are truely PLUG AND PLAY.

#30 ·
Not here in California brother, PD or CHP see you running aftermarket HIDs that they think are to bright or wrong angle they will pull you over and check to see if you are running both hi and low beam...I would rather be safe then have to deal with a fix it tcket and fine.

#31 ·
The Hi/Lo's come with a harness that had a power and ground. The additional harness that he didn't order is the one with the relay. If you order it you'll have two power two ground wires.

#32 · (Edited)
The only issue I'm having with mine are when I set the lights to come on automatically. Sometimes only one headlight will come on when I start the truck. I have to turn the lights off then turn them back on. If I have the switch on off, start the truck then turn lights on I don't have any issues. I had both harnesses installed( one that comes with hi/lo and relay harness), but then took the relay harness off. It does what I explained with and without the relay harness. Can anyone help me out on why it's doing this?

#33 · (Edited)
Weird!

Wow... that is strange - I'll try that with mine tomorrow! I have never used the automatic mode. I don't trust it... I'll try to get back on tomorrow night after the day's NFL stuff is over with!

**UPDATE**

O.K., I tried it twice tonight! The first time I started it w/Remote start at about 6:00 PM - both lights came on right away. I went out and shut the lights off, shut the truck off and put it back on automatic. At 7:00, I went out and picked up a Pizza - used the remote again and both lights came on immediately. That really puzzles me - HighOn20s is right - just like a fluorescent light, a bad ballast will cause intermittent starts. You must be just catching them when in auto mode! Is it always the same light that doesn't start?

#38 ·
thats has nothing to do with the actual lamps that has something to do with the wiring...you have to snip some wires and retie them in....idk how to do it

#40 ·
if you have an 08-10 and you find out how to do it....let me know...thanks

#41 ·
Has anyone actually installed these on a 2010 F-250? The kit I got from DDM (which has no instructions whatsoever) does not seem to be the right kit for my truck?? The plugs on the ballast do not even remotely resemble the plug that comes from the truck?? Plus there are some extra wires coming off the new bulbs....a black and a blue that have a plug on one end and then just a metal end on the other end?? I have installed HID kits in my wife's Expedition and on my Yamaha Rhino, all with no problems...This just doesn't seem to be right. I can't verify part numbers anywhere because their kits are not vehicle specific...I did verify that the bulbs are H13. Any help would be appreciated...

#42 · (Edited)
Mine is a 2010. It took me a few minutes to figure it out. Do you have the hi/lo,s? If so then you will have the two ballast plus an additional harness. You will only use one factory plug that connects to the harness then the harness will connect to the two ballast.
there should be a positive and ground wire also on the harness.

#43 ·
Well, I did not order the hi/lo's ...only the lo's. I wonder if they shipped the hi/lo's and that is what is confusing me?? I am currently trying to connect the LF (driver side) headlight...the factory plug will plug into the ballast (doesn't seem right but it will plug in) and then the other two plugs go into the bulb. However, I still have the black and blue wires left over that don't seem to go to anything???

PS - Yes, I am a bit of an idiot and could quite possibly be over-looking something very simple. Not sure what the hell is going on at this point ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.