Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Heated Seats to Viper 5901....

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  NathanScott 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Its called the Smart Start and I have it. I had it installed when I had the main unit installed. There are 2 types....the stand alone and the add on for the alarm. I think it was $299 and an additional $30 a year for the service. The interface on the iPhone is not that fancy, just start, arm, disarm, panic, and trunk. It will send texts when your alarm is triggered which is why I got it. I am not sure if there is anything that an authorized dealer has to do to activate it or if it can be activated by anyone. It is not that hard to add to the Viper 5901 as it just simply plugs into the brain.

#5 ·
I have wired my heated seats to my remote starter but the circuit logic is certainly not normal. When you ground it out the light does not activate on the front of the switch. If you keep it grounded the seats will be activated but this isn't how the system is designed to work. It caused me enough stress to disconnect that part of my BOB (Break out board). I suspect the defog switch is the same. I had just assumed it needed a ground pulse to activate but it isn't that simple.

I do have the elevated idle working from my remote as well.

I also have other threads with more useful diagrams for wiring the heated seats and remote start if you search for them.

Peter.

#6 ·
Looking again I'm not sure about your wiring. The first thing you want to do with a BOB is make a GWR bus powered by a relay. you only want to draw one relays current through the remote start brain, then let all of your other creations go through the GWR relay and to chassis ground. If you need more info, just ask. I may post my diagram for my newest BOB tonight.

Peter.

#7 ·
Peter,
I have a Compustar that has a wire set up for the defrost. Its a ground output that turns on when the temp drops below 32 deg. How would I hook that up to turn on my heated seat instead of the defrost? Directly to the switch or would I need a relay? I'm only looking to remote start one seat.

Thanks

#8 ·
you could ground out the vehicle wire directly with that but I found it does not behave normally. There is very little current as it is only a signal wire. I find you need to keep the ground on to make the seats work (not how it normally works in the vehicle) and the light will not come on this way. I felt uncomfortable with it and disconnected it for fear of damaging the body control module.

Peter.

#9 ·
Not trying to derail this thread but has anyone figured out how to (is it possible) wire the high idle mod into one of the aux functions on the remote? So the delay lets the glow plugs warm up, the truck starts, let it run for a minute or so and hit a button to kick on the high idle mod?

I found somewhere in another thread that someone has the turbo timer on a switch...flip the switch on if you want the turbo timer to engage. If it is off the truck will just shut off when you turn off the key. Anyone else done that?

I just ordered the 5901 tonight...can't wait to get it installed.

#10 ·
I have not connected my 5901 to the high idle mod, but I did connect a push button to activate the turbo timer. I got the button at Radio Shack and connected one side of the button to the H1/10 wire (blue/white) and the other side to ground. Page 17 of the manual explained the button.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.