Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Viper 5901/2 or OEM remote starter

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  TEX420 
#1 ·
Getting ready to get a remote starter/security combo installed and would like some feedback from anyone with experience with either. Price is comparable with both. Thanks in advance.

Doug

#2 ·
i dont know about the 5901 but i bought and installed a 5701 this weekend and so far i love it. the range for being a lower model is excellent and for not having the lcd screen but still being a 2 way it still tells me everything i want to know but i dont have the fear of breaking the LCD. there not cheap to replace

#4 ·
I have experience with both, currently have the Ford oem one on my truck from new. I had an older model Viper on my 99 SD, and recall being able to set crank time better to the glow plug relay...my oem one is just timed by time, no type of more specific trigger. I have had absolutely no problems with the OEM, nor with my Viper on the 99 (just can't remember model), but do know the 5901 has way more "bells/whistles" than my older one. Range for either one seems about the same, I always park way out in right field when out and about and it has always worked from inside and or right at the door of the establishment.

#7 ·
I have the 5902, love it but the remote is a little bulky, getting paged if the alarm triggers is pretty cool though.

#12 ·
Thanks again, I talked to a guy today and he told me that he would need both keys because they have a chip in them. When i told him that i only had one, he said that he could get me one but they were expensive, $100 to $150. I hung the phone up, dang saleman!

#16 ·
Python

I got Python's version of the same remote starter/alarm and they said they needed both keys - not sure why if Nathan's is working. :dunno:

The distance is incredible and the feature set is great... you won't be disappointed.

#17 ·
Bump

What exactly is the bypass module? Is it a separate item I need to buy? I really want to get a setup, but want to get it right the first time. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.