Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Viper 5901 questions....

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  NathanScott 
#1 ·
I have been looking into getting a Viper 5901 alarm system. I have a few questions before I purchase one though. If you use it for the turbo cool down. Does it always run after you turn the truck off or does it have something connected to the turbo to sense the temp and only activates if the turbo is above that? I do make a lot of short trips and it would be a pain if the truck kept running and I had only drove it for five miles. Other question is how sensitive is the alarm? I park in a parking garage at work and dont want to hear it going off every time some walks by or a loud car drives by. I know the older alarms would go off at the drop of a hat!! Any other advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
You can set the turbo time to different lengths. I have mine set to 3 mins.
I set mine up to a toggle switch that I just flip when I want it to wait to turn off or not.

#5 ·
thanks for the info.. The switch is a great idea. Where did you get the push button switch from? That looks factory!! Did any of you install the system yourselves? What all do I need besides the Viper 5901 for this to work on our trucks? Do we have to install something to bypass the pats system?

#6 ·
I got the button at Radio Shack. I had the alarm installed since I didnt want to deal with tracking down the wires. I have been installing the add-ons (tilt, prox sesor, window modules, etc...) since they were much cheaper on ebay. There is a bypass module that is needed for our trucks, but not sure the model.

#8 ·
I asked this question in another thread but got no response, are the packages on ebay that are selling for less than $300 legit? It seems to good to be true but the sellers have 100% positive feedback and they claim everything is new. I would pick on up in a heartbeat if I knew I wasn't going to get screwed.

#9 ·
I got mine from an authorized dealer so that it will be under warranty if any problems pop up. I am sure that if you get one from eBay, they are not under any warranty, so if that is not a concern for you, then go for it. I bought my window modules, tilt, prox sensor, and back up siren off eBay and all works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.