Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Are all steering columns wired for radio controls?

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  derrick36 
#1 ·
I'm planning on upgrading my stock system. Right now my XLT has a AM/FM cd player(no navigation, snyc, or anything like that). I believe the steering wheel is almost the most basic one you can get. It's just black with the cruise control functions.

I would like to upgrade to a wheel with stereo controls but I couldn't find if all the columns came ready for the stereo controls from the factory. In other words, does my XLT column just have a set of plugs waiting for a wheel with controls?

I was hoping to get away with a new wheel and the matching bezel to go around the column.

It looks like I'd have to change the color to "stone" but I've seen a Lariat with the same color scheme that looked pretty good.

If I have to remove the entire column and purchase one that came ready for stereo controls it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Does that make sense?

#2 ·
There are 4 parts to this puzzle.

The first is the actual buttons in the steering wheel. You can buy them from your ford dealer or find them from a wrecked truck.

The second piece is the wiring harnes inside the steering wheel. This is a little more difficult to come by. Ford does not sell this harness the only way I know to get one is to buy the entire wheel or find one from a wrecked truck.

The third piece is the clockspring. This is the device that connects your steering wheel harness (which must turn with the wheel) to the dash harness which is tied to the steering column (but not part of it) and dash frame and therefore does not turn. Your existing clockspring will work just fine. In fact the clockspring in all 08 - 10 (maybe 11 as well but I am not sure) model years are the same.

Finaly is the dash harness. I suspect (but do not know it to be fact) that your dash harness will have everything you need.

Bottom line is find a wheel (color doesn't matter cause you wont be using the wheel) from a wrecked truck that has the buttons you want then scavenge the buttons and wiring harness out of it. Install those buttons and harness in your wheel and you are good to go

For a complete explanation of how to install nav and Sync and more in your truck see this thread:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4-electronics-discussion/143172-adding-sync-09-nav-08-truck.html

Look specifically at posts number 76 thru 78 (on page 8 of the thread) for complete instructions on installing Sync.

Hope this helps,
Steve

#3 ·
Hey Steve,

Thanks for that info. I'm with you on most of it, but couldn't I just buy a new wheel from ford that is already set up for radio controls? Wouldn't that eliminate a step or two?

Let me go back and read your post. I probably missed something.

#4 ·
As Steve mentioned in Step two, you can't get the harness unless you buy a wheel or find one from a wrecked truck. So, if you wanted to buy a complete wheel with the buttons and harness, It would be more expensive but probably quicker.

#5 ·
The wrecking yard deal would be the easiest if we had any good yards around here. I could always go with car-part.com or ebay for that matter, but a new wheel from ford is only $225.

I guess what I'm not understaning is if I buy a new wheel from ford that has all the buttons will that just plug into an existing harness on my steering column or is there another harness that I'd have to buy from ford that goes the length of the column to the radio itself?

Seriously guys, thanks for humoring me on this one. I apologize for not wrapping my brain around the concept. If I had everything taken apart I would be able to see what's all going on in there.

#6 ·
You could get a wheel from Ford. You would have to give them a VIN from a truck that had the setup you want to be sure you got the wheel with the right harness in it. Even then I think you have to buy the buttons seperately...they are between $75 and $125 each from your dealer. Thats $225 for the wheel and another $150 (minimum) for the buttons...total $375. Tasca would certainly be cheaper but used wheels sell all the time on Ebay for between $100 and $150 depending on model (XL, Lariat, King Ranch) and condition.

My point was to find the crapiest wheel you could because all you need are the buttons (which are super easy to swap out) and the harness (which isn't much harder to swap).

Check out this guy Greenleaf Prime Salvage items on Ebay...he has Super Duty steering wheels up quite often (in fact this is where I got mine).

To answer your question...yes once you have a wheel with the correct buttons and harness in it you will be able to just install the wheel and plug it's harness directly into your existing clockspring (which in turn plugs into your trucks main dash harness).

Steve

#7 ·
Brilliant!

Thank you!

I thought I hade came across a post that said the buttons could not be swapped out, that it was all(entire wheel)or nothing. That is another reason I was leary about the junkyard route. I've been using this site: www.partsguyed.com and I couldn't find the controls separately, so I figured buying the entire wheel was the only way to go.

I'll start looking at the used route first and then go from there.

Again, thank you.

#8 ·
Just looked...that guy I mentioned on Ebay has this wheel right now.
F250 F350 Steering Wheel King Ranch 08-09 Super Duty : eBay Motors (item 200514484737 end time Sep-30-10 11:36:10 PDT)

I dont think it is exactly what you want though...would need to know abit more about the route you plan to take for radio/nav before I could say for sure which set of buttons you would need.

The one I gave above is out of an 08 truck (he says 08 or 09 but I am sure it out of an 08...09 had different buttons) that had automatic climate control. If your truck does not have that those buttons may still work the radio but the Fan and Temp buttons would obviously not work.

Steve

#9 ·
Yep, I just saw that one.

My plan is to upgrade to a Nav unit. Right now it looks like an AVIC or Kenwood, or Possibly one out of an 09.

I see that the AVIC and Kenwood both allow for the use of factory steering controls.

The only things I want from the upgrade are the ability to use Sirius(I see package deals for all of the OEM sirius equipment), Navigation and a backup camera. Those are all items I wish I had on my truck.

The steering wheel controls would be just something extra but I wasn't going to bother with it if it was going to be a pain in the ***.

My truck did not come with the auto climate, but that vendor looks to be someone who can get me pointed in the right direction.

I'll keep an eye out for a wheel that fits the bill.

#10 ·
Just one more thing. Are you 100% sure that the buttons are swapable on these steering wheels?

The ford parts guy I spoke with had no idea(not surprising)and said to double check with someone who's done it before.

I haven't found any posts of someone swapping them, so I figured I'd ask.

I would rather just swap out the buttons and harness and be done with it, but if I have to buy the whole wheel I have no problem doing so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.