Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

GOOD REVERSE LIGHTS

15K views 65 replies 23 participants last post by  Java 
#1 ·
im looking to get some powerful reverse lights something i can wire up to an upfitter switch or something...my reverse lights just dont cut it when im backing up the small trails at the ranch at night so i want something i can turn on and off as i need them so i dont want to wire them in with my reverse lights an upfitter switch hook up would be ideal...let me know what you guys are using if you have any

i dont want any big *** bulky ugly friggin lights....i just want something low profile
maybe led

#2 ·
Ill Second That.....What He Said.....Subscribing!

#3 ·
This is my set up. Granted it is a 6.0 and I don't have them wired to a switch but it is plenty bright. I need the light backing up the fat girl.

#4 ·
KC HiLiTES 517 - KC HiLiTES BackupLights - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Had these on my 97 and just put them on my 06. These are great lights. Had them on the 97 for 8 years with no problems. They come with a relay so they come on and go off with the reverse lights on the truck. If you want you can add an additional switch so you can turn them on without being in reverse. Has all the wire, slit tube, fuse holder, zip ties and mounting hardware. Great kit.

#10 ·
those looks sweet, i might get a pair for my truck when backing up at night

#8 ·
in my old ranger, i had a blub that had numerous tiny LED's all over it, they were about as bright as headlights! ill find the place i got them from

#9 ·
oh yea, they werent even a light that i had to add on, it was simply a blub that went in my reverse light, couldnt even tell it was any different until i hit reverse

#14 ·
sounds nice but the pics are not working

#16 ·
i saw the recon lights but am concerned that they only have 4 leds? in the description it says 4 and in one out of 3 pics it shows 4, but in the other 2 pics it shows that it has somewhere near 9 or 10

#19 ·
I had White Nights on my '08 and the worked great for a while then started blowing fuses so I took them off, only problem is the make it a ROYAL pain in the a$$ to hook up safety chains and or change out trailer balls and what not....White Night Rear Lighting System, Truck SUV Reverse Lights

And I would love to add just some El Cheapo lights on there but cant figure out how to mount them, anyone with some pics would be good?

#21 ·
no link? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

#22 ·
here is the link bubba

Stealth Reverse Lights Installed - National Harley Truck Owners Club

as far as mounting goes i am just going to find me some real low profile oval led's fog lights from autozone or oreillys and mount the on the bottom far outside of my receiver hitch and set them as far back as i can so thet they dont stick out like a sore thumb.

#27 ·
sweet thanks for the info!

I'm the kinda guy that researches / plans to a fault, and I decided to go with a dual bulb hella lamp. I don't have the model number or pictures (I'll re post when I get home) I spend alot of time driving / manuvering in the bush (with and without a trailer) and these lights let me do it. they take a standard H3 bulb (which you can get up to 100 watts) and they come in either a flood or a spot lens. I have the floods mounted under my truck to the side of the hitch, and give an excellent spread (near 180 degrees).
great thanks!

#23 ·
Hella is the answer

I'm the kinda guy that researches / plans to a fault, and I decided to go with a dual bulb hella lamp. I don't have the model number or pictures (I'll re post when I get home) I spend alot of time driving / manuvering in the bush (with and without a trailer) and these lights let me do it. they take a standard H3 bulb (which you can get up to 100 watts) and they come in either a flood or a spot lens. I have the floods mounted under my truck to the side of the hitch, and give an excellent spread (near 180 degrees).

#24 ·
Here's mine, cheap and easy. A pair of utility lights from my local IH dealer for $7-$8 each:

#25 ·
I work at Whelen Engineering in CT. These are lights that the company is going to be producing. If you go to Whelen Engineering there is also other back up or plow lighting, all LED.

Attachments

#26 ·
Not wanting to get too involved in wiring at the moment, I was wondering if any of these would be an improvement over the stock bulbs (Assuming the standard back up light bulb is a 3156LL)?

LEDs:

Part NO Color Volt Range mA@12v LUMIN Price
3156-WLX3 Cool White 9~14.8 65 80 $23.95

3156-CW18-T Cool White 10~30 175 120 $17.95

3156-W25 Cool White 9~14.8 54 58 $11.95

From: Super Bright LEDs ? LED Lights, Bulbs, and Accessories

#28 ·
ok so when i get the lights... i see the blunt cut wires hanging under the hood by steering column that go to the upfitters...do i just hook the hot up to one of the wires and then ground the other one? are the blunt cut wires under the hood already hooked up to the upfitter switch? anyone got any instructions on this?

#29 ·
No they are just pass through wires, those just get you into the cab and then you have to connect the pass through wire to an upfitter wire... should be in your manual... and just ground the lights somewhere at the back with the lights, most of the time i ground the lights where i screw/bolt the light onto the truck.

#30 ·
I installed two HID reverse lights and mounted them on my hitch. They are insanely bright. I love them and use them for lighting at bonfires, backing up, anything I can. I wired them to an upfitter switch for that guy who just cant seem to get off your bumper too. you would love them.

#33 ·
thanks man, i never thought about mounting them like that... did you only wire to an upfitter switch or did you wire them to come on with the reverse lights as well, if so how do you wire to them both?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.