Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Steering wheel controls and aftermarket HU?

7K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  BIG RED BUBBA 
#1 ·
First off, sorry if I duplicated a thread but I searched for my question and didn't see it. I see tons of '09+ nav install threads in an '08 but I just want to install an aftermarket HU (Pioneer AVIC-???) but I want my steering wheel controls to still work. Will they?

#3 ·
Spatel is correct. Just make sure you get the latest ones because I have read some may not work correctly. I have one but haven't gotten to install it yet.

#5 ·
If you put in an aftermarket HU the sync unit is gone also.

#11 ·
#7 ·
Yes, the Z120 is the newest model which will be replacing the Z110 which replaced the Z3 and so on. As for the steering wheel controls, they work perfectly on my truck.

#8 ·
i have an alpine iza-w505 and just ordered the alpine steering wheel adapter kit from crutchfield, should see how it goes by friday!

#10 ·
I thought the Audiophile system came with a separate amp, don't recall if it was integrated into the head unit. In any case, I didn't have to buy a separate amp for my install so if it is integrated the AVIC has one integrated as well. Sounds great no matter what music I play, except country, nothing makes country sound good. :)

#15 ·
Volume control for the sync system is now done via the steering wheel controls. The module has a brown loop that can be cut and attached to a mute input on the aftermarket radio. If you have any questions while installing it feel free to PM me as I design the harnesses for PAC and im pretty familiar with the product. Make sure you get the 1.1.1.4 version of this module to ensure it is up to date. :thumb:

#17 · (Edited)
MPTonyT,

Thank you very much for this write-up. I have few questions if you don't mind.

I'm looking at purchasing the MS-FRD1. I'm going to install a Kenwood DNX7160 with it. I'm also looking to purchase the SWI-JACK to use the steering wheel controls.

I've read through thePDF located at: http://www.pac-audio...ions_050710.pdf
and I still have a few questions.

My steering wheel has 7 buttons. Volume Up, Volume Down, Next Track, Previous Track, Voice Command, Media, and Phone. Which of this buttons will I be able to use with my headunit? I understand that I will hold down the Media button for few seconds to switch between Sync mode and Sync-Idle mode. I assume when in Sync mode, the wheel control buttons will control the Sync, and when in Sync-Idle mode they will control the Kenwood. Will I be able to program all 7 buttons for use with the Kenwood or only a few of them? The guide says 5 of the 7 are programmable. which 5?

Will I be able to control the volume of my Kenwood with the wheel controls?

When in Sync mode, does my headunit power off? Does it have to or can I configure that by clipping the wires on MS-FRD1 module? The Kenwood takes a little while to start up, so I'd rather it wasn't powering down when I use sync.

I know that I need to connect the Sync to the Aux-In of my Kenwood. If I use the bluetooth/handsfree option of Sync, do I need switch my Kenwood to Aux so that I can hear the call? When an incoming phonecall comes in over Sync while I'm listening to the Kenwood and the MS-FRD1 is in Sync-Idle mode, what happens? Can I hear the call? Will I have to change the source on my Kenwood to Aux in order to take it?

If I'm in Sync-Idle mode, and I get in an accident and the airbags deploy, will the module automatically switch to Sync mode and call 911?

Will the clock in my OEM LCD Display still work after installing the MS-FRD1?

Sync requires pairing to a Bluetooth phone for some services. If I decide that I want to use the Kenwood to handle my handsfree bluetooth calls, can I tell Sync to not try to answer the phone call (and just leave it to the Kenwood)? I don't want to un-pair my phone from Sync, because the Sync functions may not work properly, but I may choose to not want to use Sync to handle incoming calls.

How do I know if I am purchasing version 1.4.4.4? The amazon link doesn't say which verision it is: Amazon.com: PAC MS-FRD1 Radio Replacement Interface with SYNC Retention: Automotive

Thank you for any answers you may have.
-Ed

#20 ·
It will be just like the factory. It will mute the radio and put you into phone mode. You can then press the voice button if needed to initiate the voice dial feature. We tried to make this module as much like the factory setup as possible. That way the end user doesn't need to relearn how to use it .

#21 ·
not to hijack this thread, but i ordered a interface kit from crutchfield for my alpine hu and i am wondering how hard it is to put in, should i just take it to a professional?
thanks

#22 ·
its not hard if you've done a couple before but i can see it being tough for an unexperienced person.

#23 ·
i got a quote to just install the swijack control module, not even to buy it...just for labor...$95 for he said, 30-45 min of work. does that sound high, seems high to me?

#24 ·
i got quoted 95 dollars for just the labor on the instal of a swijack module...doesnt that seem high? he said 30-45 min labor?

#25 ·
Thats does seem a little high. Most places i have seen have an hourly labor rate of 55 - 85 and hour. Since it should take NO more than 20 - 30 mins to install i would get a secondary quote.

#26 ·
i am going to go with the 95 dollar guy because i went to another and he said it was 85 dollars and hour but it would take an hour and a half to do it...the other guy said 30-45 min, why are the time differences so different?
not meaning to hyjack this thread
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.