Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turn signal bulb housings getting toasty

724 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dgeesaman 
#1 ·
Our F-250 has 31k miles on it (a little warranty left)

The left side blinkers began blinking quickly the other day. I pulled the left rear turn signal bulb and it needs replacement. No biggie.

I noticed the grey plastic connector for the bulb has turned brown close to the bulb. See the pic.

Out of curiosity I pulled the right rear turn signal and that connector is also brown, even though the bulb is good and the blinker is ticking at normal speed on that side. It too has a browned seat for the bulb, which was even more concerning.

Something isn't right here. Is the toasty connector thing normal? Should I just take this in to Ford and let them fix what's not right?

On another note, I see that I can get a drop-in replacement bulb based on LEDs. I am interested if these LEDs are brighter and more durable - are they an upgrade worth doing, if so, where to go to get quality LED replacements?

Dave

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
OK, thanks.

I pulled the front headlights and found uncovered wire taps left over from the last owner's snowplow installation. One of those had water all through the loom. I removed the taps and rewrapped the sections with silicone fusing tape.

If I added dielectric grease to the connection might that help avoid the excess heat that made the connectors brown in the first place, or is it from the normal heat of the bulb?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.