Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

unhooked batteries to work on something and now no fuel gauge

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  blkrvrbart 
#1 ·
unhooked the batteries to work on something and when i hooked them back up my fuel gauge shows a little below E and my miles to empty says --- I know I had around 1/2 a tank, not sure what the miles to empty were. Well one post said drive it and it will fix itself, it hasn't. another post said fill it up and it will reset from full and work. I filled it up and it went to full and miles went to 435. I thought "Presto" it's fixed, until I drove about 30 minutes and im back at --- and a little below E. Is there a way to reset this to make it work right. Up until i unhooked the batteries I've never had a problem with the gauge or the miles to empty. always worked and always pretty accurate/reliable. It is a 2010 250 6.4 auto 4wd crew

#7 ·
Filled fuel tank. Disconnected sending unit connector. Connected a test light across the leads. Turned on the ignition, gauge reads 7/8 of a tank. Turned off key, reconnected sending unit, within 30 seconds gauge reads pegged empty. Sending unit has to be the problem, ordered new sending unit.

#8 ·
For future reference:

Ran the tank down by logging 360 miles from full. Dropped the tank, replaced sending unit, reassembled everything, works fine. Note to the wise - raise the bed to get to the tank, it?s a lot less bull crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.